Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nadine201
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-03-2009, 11:23 PM

Puppy & lead problems

Monty (13 weeks old Lhasa Apso x Westie) LOVES going for walks but putting his lead on & off is a nightmare, he just hates it & tries to bite your hand (qute aggressively but in a fearful way too) as soon as you touch his collar, his head whips round & teeth come out.
When we have been fussing him, have been touching his collar & is fine with that, just when you try to clip the lead on he goes loopy.
Any suggestions on what to do, other than to persevere with it ?
was thinking of trying him with a harness or would that be the same ?
Thanks - Nadine
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Hi,

when you get Monty ready for a walk do you go to him and follow him around until he stays still long enough for you to attach his lead or does he come to you and sit?

The reason I ask is that although he may get excited about goin gout for his walks, if you have to followhim about to begin with thismay be a sign that he's not happy with the situation re puutin gon his lead. If then you've followed through and attached it, from his point of view he's being put in a aituation he doesn't like to begin with and this woul dmake him worse.

One thing you could do is use treats. Ask Monty to sit an dput the lead onthe floor in front of him. If he sits (only a few seconds are needed really each time) nicely then reward him with a treat. Then remove the lead. Repeat this until he seems comfortable with the lead being in front of him.

Do the same thing but actually touch the lead when you give him a treat. Then open and close the catch for the lead and give him a treat. So Monty will be able to see that the lead can be associated with geting as treat and it's a positive thing to have the lead nearby.
Then repeat several times again butwith your hand on his collar. So Monty will see your hand on the lead and will feel your other hand on his collar. Then remove your hand.

Bit by bit you can build this up so he readily accepts you puttin gon his lead.

Alternatively, you could try a different collar and lead that you use ONLY for walks. For example, if you have a separate collar it could already be attached to a lead. This way, you need only put on the other collar effectively and if the lead is already attached, there is no issue re getting Monty to allow you to put it on him. By the time he realises, you'll be half way down the street.

There are many ways to get a dog to do something but to make it a positive experience for yourselves and for Monty, using treats or his favourite toy may help.

Laura xx
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by nadine201 View Post
Monty (13 weeks old Lhasa Apso x Westie) LOVES going for walks but putting his lead on & off is a nightmare, he just hates it & tries to bite your hand (qute aggressively but in a fearful way too) as soon as you touch his collar, his head whips round & teeth come out.
When we have been fussing him, have been touching his collar & is fine with that, just when you try to clip the lead on he goes loopy.
Any suggestions on what to do, other than to persevere with it ?
was thinking of trying him with a harness or would that be the same ?
Thanks - Nadine
It sounds to me like he's playing a game with you... The fact that he doesn't mind his collar being touched, suggest a game...

I think I would just use a slip lead, and ensure you don't play his games...
esmegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2009, 08:31 AM
I had a similar problem, but now I actually make my Lola sit down, treat, then the lead goes on, then another treat, then we are ready for walkies....after a few times of doing this , she now sits by herself waiting for treat and allows the lead to go on, so I'm now down to 1 treat when the lead is on and not for sitting.
so all in all, good things come out of perseverence and to stop the little game.

If Monty sits with no problem, then you can work from that I'm sure!

Just persevere, you and Monty will get there,

Beckyx