Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneW
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2009, 01:48 PM

Millie and Arthritis ?

Hi, I havent been on here for some time, been rather busy with hubby, (not too well). He's getting on a bit better now so managed a minute to ask advice about my little Millie. J.R.T. 4 years old. She is licking her right front leg a lot, around her knee joint. The other day she was doing it to her left leg. Consequently I am worried that she may have arthritis. I had two dogs with arthritis some years ago and the Metacam cost me a fortune. I am wondering if there is any other medication that I may be able to purchase which would not be so expensive. We are pensioners. I also have another dog Patch, who is around 11 or 12 years old. Both dogs are rescues. But very well loved and cared for.
Regards,

Anne
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Hi there.

Other than the licking, is there any other signs of discomfort - e.g. limping/stiffness etc? I know its not impossible for it to be arthritis, but 4 years does seem quite young to be getting this.

I'd first get her checked by the vet; I know that this is an expensive in itself, but think it is important that you know what you are dealing with.

If the vet does say that it is arthritis and tries to sell you the metacam, you can always say that you want to try to manage the condition without it to start with.

If it is arthritis, Glucosamine & Chondroitin may help - so may green lipped muscle extract. Neither of these is particularly cheap, but may well be less expensive than the metacam.

Also, if it is arthritis, exercise is still important to keep the joint moving, but you have to be careful not to do too much and try to exercise her on softer ground and avoid let her jump about.

Good luck - arthritis is a manageable ailment, but it would be nicer to find that it was something else from which she will recover fully.
AnneW
New Member!
Female 

25-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Thank You Hali, for your reply. I do exercise Millie and Patch on grass, and they love it. She is not limping nor is she stiff legged, she can run as fast as the wind, leaving poor old Patch well behind. She licks her knees mainly when they settle down after playing or going out. It may well be something else so I shall get her to the Vet. At present she is licking her knee joints, but not all the time. I could be premature. but as you say it's best to know just what I am dealing with.
Best Wishes.

Annew
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Get it diagnosed first and if it is arthritis, and Metacam is the way you want to go, get a prescription from your vet and buy it from www.petmeds.co.uk for £23 (incl delivery) for 180ml.

My vet charges me a fortune for it too.......or rather, he used to
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2009, 05:09 PM
hi

they are a worry arnt they.... my late staffy always spent a long time licking her paw or knee and her daughter does it at times.... as long as the skin is ok i would'nt worry they do has a habbit or when they are bored.... it may discolour their skin but thats about all....my staffy takes metacam.... but not all the time... with it being expencive i give it her when she is showing signs of a flare up..

take care
michele xxx