View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2006, 08:06 AM

Is there Something Wrong With Him (Doesnt seem able to yelp or whine normally?)

My little JRT can bark fine but he cannot cry, whine or yelp just a little wheeze can be heard. He is 15 months old and I have never heard anything but the wheeze when he whines at me for something.
My big lump of a pup has landed on him in play a few times and hurt him but he can't yelp to tell her so I have to be very vigilant.
Also if he barks or gets excited he starts coughing and choking like he has something stuck in his throat. Its not kennel cough (he had that as a young pup) and this has been going on all the time.
Are there dogs like this? as I have never come accross one in all my 30 odd years of having them or is there something wrong with him.
I think i may be a bit paronoid as I lost my last two dogs age 4 and 7 years caused by a throat problem which was down to auto immune disease, and this is really worrying me, and I spend all day trying to keep him calm which is very stressful with a young JRT.

Bev
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2006, 08:44 AM
its a hard one has be seen the vet about it
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Your concerns should be explained to your vet He/she will examine the throat for various possible causes and will be able to either set your mind at rest that there is nothing to worry about, or will be able to suggest/initiate treatment if there is a problem.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi Bev if your little dog has never cried he may have been born with a laryngeal defect.We had a Schnauzer Matty exactly the same, she sounded hoarse when whining and her bark was not quite right either. Nothing could be done, she was the same all her life.

There are a number of medical condition treatable with medication that can affect a dogs ability to make sounds, they can cause coughing when the dog gets excited, so it is best to get your little dog checked out by the vet.