Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Advice re flea and worm treatments

I floundering, going round in circles and would really appreciate some advice please.

I have 3 dogs and don't routinely use flea and worm treatments. They have garlic and I use a spray on their coats and haven't encountered fleas or worms for years.

When a rescue, Betty, arrived last year, on vet advice I treated the 3 dogs with Advocate. Betty had a dreadful reaction and was ill with 30 minutes of dosing her. It resulted in a hefty vet bill to get her well again and I vowed then never to use Advocate again on any of them, even though the other 2 dogs were O.K.

Yesterday I found a flea on Jack, none on the others that I could find. I obviously have to treat the 3 dogs and spray the house, but Doug has a 'seasonal allergy' giving him itchy skin and bald patches. I usually manage to keep it at bay with Piriton and a soothing cream and baths but this year it's particularly bad so he's had a steroid jab from the vet.

I'm dubious about using a 'spot on' flea treatment on Doug while his skin is still itchy.

I believe fleas can give them worms too? So I'll need to give a worm treatment.

I'm floundering as to best course of action

I was thinking Frontline for Jack and Betty, but nothing for Doug till his skin is better, and spray the house and car with Acclaim.

As for worming them, I don't want to risk using Advocate again, Jack doesn't tolerate Drontal, so would Pancur be O.K. for the 3 of them?

I'm panicking a bit, so any advice would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 05:39 PM
I know the feeling!! It's a bit of a minefield. All I know is that my vet gave Coco (who has terrible skin) Advocate. She was fine with it. I am considering using Advocate on all mine as we have loads of slugs and snails in the garden.
Panacur is worth a try I guess.
Neem shampoo is good for repelling fleas. It also works on mites. Maybe worth a try...at least it's natural.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I only do mine if one shows signs of having fleas. Then I use Stronghold because it is absorbed into the system whereas some others just coat the skin and my dogs swim a lot. It does mites and roundworms as well. I think Advocate does the same plus heartworm? I`d check if your spot-on does worms before using a separate wormer.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 07:43 PM
I never use flea treatment on any of my dogs. If needed I treat the house and soft furnishings and have never had a problem. I check on a regular basis witha flea comb.

I do worm using either drontal or Panacur.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2011, 08:10 PM
Have you tried giving the vet a ring or popping in to see what they suggest?
Your proposed suggestion seems fairly sensible though!

This may not have been the best idea but when I found a flea I just picked it off! However I check her daily and she is cream so I would know (I like to think) if she has a flea problem. I worm her every 3 months.
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Thank you all for your replies.

Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I know the feeling!! It's a bit of a minefield. All I know is that my vet gave Coco (who has terrible skin) Advocate. She was fine with it. I am considering using Advocate on all mine as we have loads of slugs and snails in the garden.
Panacur is worth a try I guess.
Neem shampoo is good for repelling fleas. It also works on mites. Maybe worth a try...at least it's natural.
I know lots of people are happy with Advocate, especially as it covers lungworm as well, but after the experience with Betty, it's really put me off using it.
To be honest, it's put me off using ANY chemical flea treatment. I've been lucky to not have had any problems for years, but now Jack actually HAS fleas on him I'm struggling with 'going against the grain' and using chemicals.

I only do mine if one shows signs of having fleas. Then I use Stronghold because it is absorbed into the system whereas some others just coat the skin and my dogs swim a lot. It does mites and roundworms as well. I think Advocate does the same plus heartworm? I`d check if your spot-on does worms before using a separate wormer.
I've no experience of using Stronghold, but I'm thinking a preparation that does fleas and worms, as does Advocate, may be too potent for Betty. I'd rather leave a few weeks between treating for fleas and worms.
I have used my usual natural method of worming and have no evidence to suggest they do have worms.
I'll check again but I don't think Frontline covers worms.

I never use flea treatment on any of my dogs. If needed I treat the house and soft furnishings and have never had a problem. I check on a regular basis witha flea comb.
Leadstaffs, Have you ever found a flea on your dogs? If so how did you deal with it? Is spraying the house/soft furnishings enough to stop the dog hosting them?

Have you tried giving the vet a ring or popping in to see what they suggest?
Your proposed suggestion seems fairly sensible though!

This may not have been the best idea but when I found a flea I just picked it off! However I check her daily and she is cream so I would know (I like to think) if she has a flea problem. I worm her every 3 months.
No I haven't spoken with the vet yet, I know their chosen product is Advocate and when Betty was ill after it, they were adamant is wasn't a reaction to the treatment, just a coincidence.
She started vomiting within 30 minutes of the application and continued vomiting every 20 or so minutes throughout the night. By the time I got her to the vets the following morning she was vomiting blood. It took her about 4 days to recover.
That's what I'm doing with Jack.....picking the fleas off! .....it's my new hobby.......constantly going over him with a flea comb! I've only found 1 flea and 3-4 eggs....so far!
Him and Doug are white short haired so it's relatively easy to see any fleas, but Betty is black with a dense double coat......she's more of a challenge.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2011, 11:13 PM
I give Lana diatamacious earth, in fact I take it myself as well, it's great for hair and nails If she ever got fleas I would use it around the house. I don't give Lana flea or worm treatment and didn't do so with my last dog either and neither dog has had them, nor ticks. Maybe I've been lucky so far but don't like the idea of using all those chemicals on the dogs.

The food grade diatom earth can be used on the dogs coat and around the house if they have fleas and can be taken internally to get rid of worms.
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Oooh thanks for that. I'm going to look at that tomorrow.....it's a bit late now.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 06:04 AM
I have never found a flea on my dogs and I do check with a flea comb. That is treating the house only.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by parsonsmum View Post
No I haven't spoken with the vet yet, I know their chosen product is Advocate and when Betty was ill after it, they were adamant is wasn't a reaction to the treatment, just a coincidence.
She started vomiting within 30 minutes of the application and continued vomiting every 20 or so minutes throughout the night. By the time I got her to the vets the following morning she was vomiting blood. It took her about 4 days to recover.
That's what I'm doing with Jack.....picking the fleas off! .....it's my new hobby.......constantly going over him with a flea comb! I've only found 1 flea and 3-4 eggs....so far!
Him and Doug are white short haired so it's relatively easy to see any fleas, but Betty is black with a dense double coat......she's more of a challenge.
It might be useful just to ring and ask about other options. Im sure there are other brands they promote like frontline or stronghold, and they might be able to suggest why advocate had such a negative effect (although not good that they didnt believe it last time!)
Drontol only does roundworms and tapeworms I believe.

My picking method is only if I find one rogue flea which looks as if it has hopped on from somewhere and I dont think it has laid eggs etc. If I was worried about it spreading I would use something like frontline.

Are there any bathing products you could use along with treating the house?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >