Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2005, 03:21 PM

Warning - definitely not a furry!!

Thought I would post a picture of our Indian stick insects, Spike and Speedy Spike wasn't very impressed with the photo session and just sat there the whole time and Speedy kept running off (think he was a bit shy, but he will get used to stardom once he has seen his picture on Dogweb :smt042 :smt042 :smt042

bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2005, 03:22 PM
ooh i dont know what to say its true what they say they look like a stick,great pics
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Hey foxy!
my cousin has some of these he was told they were 2 females but it turned out it was boy and a girl and they hatched hundreds of ends he had to spend a load of money getting new tanks to keep them all in!until they were big enough to be sold!
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

21-05-2005, 03:30 PM
wow we used to have them at school now I dont mean to be thick and I love the Blueygreen colour... but do they 'need' that colour for anything specific?
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Def not furries!

Graeme might be able to do some pic-wizzardry and give them beards or something!!!!!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2005, 03:31 PM
Oooooo very nice !
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by ZoeH
Hey foxy!
my cousin has some of these he was told they were 2 females but it turned out it was boy and a girl and they hatched hundreds of ends he had to spend a load of money getting new tanks to keep them all in!until they were big enough to be sold!

Hi Zoe,

If I remember rightly stick insects are mostly female and they don't have to actually 'do it' to breed. They start laying eggs from being about 5 months old (usually when their front legs go red at the top) and they lay them till they die which is about 12-18 months I think. If you keep the eggs in a separate tin or something and look after 3 months or so they should have hatched out and baby stick insects are so cute and little. They then shed their skin by hanging upside down and they eventually end up at the size that they are in the pictures at about 4 months. They are really easy to feed (they just eat garden privet and brambles) and they don't make any noise These ones that we have got now are the decendants of some we bought a few years ago and we have kept a few eggs every time.
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze
wow we used to have them at school now I dont mean to be thick and I love the Blueygreen colour... but do they 'need' that colour for anything specific?
Im not an expert but i would guess they are that colour so if they were out in the wild there skin would blend in with the surroundings but thats just a guess! as i think they live of greens like nettles etc im sure foxy will know!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
Def not furries!

Graeme might be able to do some pic-wizzardry and give them beards or something!!!!!

Oh yes Speedy said he would LOVE a beard, Spike wasn't happy when I told him though, (he's a bit funny about beards, he gets his legs stuck in them )
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Isn't Dogweb wonderful? Lets use a posh word and call it Byzantine!

Last week tadpoles, today stick insects.....we'll soon be able to say we have the answer to life, the universe and everything. lol
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >