Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 03:34 PM

Weight issues - Boxer

Murphy went in for his boosters on Friday, and weighed in at 32kg (5st 1lb) at 14 months old.

According to the breed standard, that's the weight of a full-grown adult Boxer (what a fat puppy!!)

The vet doesn't seem to have a problem with his weight, but I can see that he is losing his "waist" when looked at from the top.

Now, he is generally a "big-boned" dog, and has always been much stockier than Max (and his littermates). His sire was very stocky. He is also a much better eater than Max, who can be fussy.

However, with that comes the fact that he is a hoover, and I swear he is part-labrador. For a couple of months now, we've been keeping eyes on him, as he will attempt to finish off what Max leaves (Max will not empty a bowl of food, even if there is half the normal portion there), and also hoover up any crumbs etc.

I've also been keeping a watch on treats etc, and have banned scraps from dog bowls.

The last month he has had much more exercise than usual, as my OH has been off work and at home.

I realise that Murphy still has a lot of growing to do (another year practically) but am worried that he will put strain on his joints etc if he puts on any weight un-necessarily.

Apart from being strict with what he eats, what else can I do?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Not much. He probably just needs much less food than Max. Loki has a ridiculously slow metabolism. I really have to be carefull because he puts on weight so easily. He has a chicken carcass a day which weighs about 400g. any more and he goes podgy.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Neutered dogs don't need as much food as entire dogs I was told. Not sure how true it is Their metabolism slows down after neutering or something

I have to watch Star's weight as she gains weight really quickly. She is like Murphy quite a solid boxer.

All you can do is keep up the exercise and monitor food and treats.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Not much. He probably just needs much less food than Max. Loki has a ridiculously slow metabolism. I really have to be carefull because he puts on weight so easily. He has a chicken carcass a day which weighs about 400g. any more and he goes podgy.
Isla is the same. Her weight is now 20kgs, which is exactly what it should be. She should get 2-3% of her body weight (she's raw fed) which works out at between 400 and 600 grams per day. She actually gets 225 grams per day!

Now to be fair she's on this because she was fat and has now lost weight, but tbh she appears to also be part Labrador and hoovers everything in sight, which is why she's still on this amount.

I would continue to do what you're doing tbh. The only other thing I can suggest is to find a Hydrotherapy pool and get him to do a bit of swimming?

Good luck with resisting those pleading eyes!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks guys! I'll carry on adjusting his food slightly (and making sure he doesn't scoff Max's left overs) and see where we get to...

The annoying thing is I've got Max who is like a toast rack (4st 8lbs) but is very well balanced, but a horribly fussy eater, and Murphy who is built like a freight train and will eat anything in sight (we call him the Big Fat Flabberjabber )

They both swim every week (albeit in the sea or lake), but I quite like the sound of a hydrotherapy pool for them
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 04:41 PM
As you say, just watching that he doesn't finish off Max's food and restricting other titbits should be enough

If it isn't, the other thing you can do is consider changing his food. I maybe wrong, but if you've picked the food which bests suites Max in terms of keeping weight on him, it might not be the best for Murphy - i.e. keeping weight off him.

I know its not ideal having to have two different foods for your dogs, but I have to do this with Hoki and Stumpy - Hoki will eat anything and everything and Stumpy is much more fussy.