View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TalitiaJaxleigh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2010, 04:36 PM

Can anyone point me in the right direction...

to some good canine behaviour books? I have a few but they all focus on the dominant/submissive wolf pack theory and from what I have been reading recently opinions have changed on this.

Also if anyone can recommend a good course that would be great I have had a look at the Animal Care College website but there are so many out there that I'm a bit confused.

Gemma
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 05:45 PM
Not sure what level you want.
Oh Behave!: Dogs from Pavlov to Premack to Pinker by by Jean Donaldson is a discussion of theories of behaviour.
TalitiaJaxleigh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks I havnt heard of those, I'll look them up. I want to learn as much as i can but as there is so much out there it is difficult to know where to start.
TalitiaJaxleigh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Ooops I meant that one not those
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Anything by Jean Donaldson is good - her Culture Clash is excellent for basic behaviour & training.
TalitiaJaxleigh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Ahh I've heard of that one, its on my watch list on ebay I'll def have to order that then

Thanks again!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Why not join the APDT as a subscriber?

You can then join their library and get books out to read and then buy them if you think they are good.

Anything by Ian Dunbar, Jean Donalson, Karen Pryor to begin with, however there are several others
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-12-2010, 11:32 AM
These are some of the courses that I'm aware of. I have no experience of any, though I have thought about doing one.

Foundation Degree (Bishop Burton)

Or, choice of courses from one of the following providers:

Compass Education

COAPE

Think Dog

John Rogerson runs a distance learning course.

P.D.T.I. accredited by Harper Adams College - though it seems you have to be an instructor with x many years instuctional experience to do the instructors course !

One I've considered myself is the ADTB Course - for no other eason than you pay per module.

There are others on here who have done some/many of these courses.

As for books, pick one (e.g. the complete idiots guide if you feel you want to start at the begining -as I did), buy it, then try some of the other books mentioned in the Appendix.
TalitiaJaxleigh
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Why not join the APDT as a subscriber?

You can then join their library and get books out to read and then buy them if you think they are good.

Anything by Ian Dunbar, Jean Donalson, Karen Pryor to begin with, however there are several others
Thanks for that idea, I have now printed off an application to send

Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
These are some of the courses that I'm aware of. I have no experience of any, though I have thought about doing one.

Foundation Degree (Bishop Burton)

Or, choice of courses from one of the following providers:

Compass Education

COAPE

Think Dog

John Rogerson runs a distance learning course.

P.D.T.I. accredited by Harper Adams College - though it seems you have to be an instructor with x many years instuctional experience to do the instructors course !

One I've considered myself is the ADTB Course - for no other eason than you pay per module.

There are others on here who have done some/many of these courses.

As for books, pick one (e.g. the complete idiots guide if you feel you want to start at the begining -as I did), buy it, then try some of the other books mentioned in the Appendix.
Brilliant! will check those out now!

Thanks for all the book ideas!

Gemma
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 04:40 PM
The library is a great idea IMHO as there is no limit on how many you take out in the year, and it gives you an opportunity to avoid expensive mistakes as most of these books are not available to have a shufti at in book stores or libraries.

Although John Fisher's earlier works are rather a lot about dominance, he did start to change his mind and I think he is worth reading.

Jan Fennel would be last on my list, but again it is worth reading some books just so you can get an idea of what is out there and even if I do not see eye to eye with her, others may think she has a point................... (sigh)

If you go to Crufts there are lots of books available on the APDT stand etc.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >