View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 05:49 PM

Possible Thyroid? (dog overweight and lethargic)

Well a woman on a site for rawfeeders told me today, that she thinks I'm putting my dog's life on the line feeding like I do (I add quite a big amount of veggies to her dinner) and that it may be thyroid problems.

Luna's suddenly gotten quite "lazy", wont do walks, looks sad when we are out on walks.. Still eats, but its been reduced and she's not losing weight.

I was suggested by a danish rawfeeder to make half her food veggies.. not blended but blanched (should prevent any possible runny tummy).

I've given Luna this since friday.

175 grams RMB morning
50 grams meat, 250 grams veggies, 25 grams offal, ½ teaspoon kelp/alfalfa and some probiotica

She was pretty active sunday as we were at agility and she played with a friend of hers.. But if its just us, she's mostly just trotting along at first, but quickly lacking behind and just walking veeery slowly...

Can anyone tell me the signs for this? and how would the vet find out if this is the thing? Bloodtests?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
You should get her checked by the vet, suspected thyroid problems should be checked for and medication may be needed. Could be she is just having an attack of lethargy, I get them quite often.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-04-2006, 06:23 PM
My old Abe suffered with an underactive thyroid Jeanette.I told the vet that he had become quite lethargic,put a bit of weight on and it wouldnt budge even when food was reduced.The blood tests the vet did are NOT cheap so if you have insurance-make them pay like i did.

Abe was prescibed Thyroxine tablets which cost £37 for 250 and he had to have 2 1/2 tablets per day.Within 2 weeks-Abe was chasing balls again,playing with other dogs,the weight started to fall off and he looked genuinly happier!

If Luna is found to have an underactive thyroid-she will need to be on the tablets for rest of her life Jeanette.After couple of months,the vet will take blood samples to see if the dosage is right or wrong for her because initially its a bit hit or miss.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Her 4. season just ended thursday last week, so could be a part of that (and her false pregnancies)

She's getting speyed on 9. june and will be thoroughly checked over then. But I dont know if I should wait that long.

She pees and poos normally...
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by Steve
My old Abe suffered with an underactive thyroid Jeanette.I told the vet that he had become quite lethargic,put a bit of weight on and it wouldnt budge even when food was reduced.The blood tests the vet did are NOT cheap so if you have insurance-make them pay like i did.

Abe was prescibed Thyroxine tablets which cost £37 for 250 and he had to have 2 1/2 tablets per day.Within 2 weeks-Abe was chasing balls again,playing with other dogs,the weight started to fall off and he looked genuinly happier!

If Luna is found to have an underactive thyroid-she will need to be on the tablets for rest of her life Jeanette.After couple of months,the vet will take blood samples to see if the dosage is right or wrong for her because initially its a bit hit or miss.
Hi Steve

I hadnt seen your answer

Thank you.

I dont have an insurance.. I was about to make one, but I dont know if I can now

Would this be discovered if she is having a full check over by a vet before a spey?
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

05-04-2006, 06:25 AM
Hi B/L sorry but I don`t agree with giving her so little meat. 50gms= 2 ounces & then 25gms of offal thats 1 ounce, so all she`s getting is 3ounces total of meat Then 175gms rmb = 7 ounces 250gms veg = 10 ounces. Doesn`t sound right to me unless my calculations from gms to ounces is wrong?

Veg certainly shouldn`t be more than meat & nor should bone. What does your book say?

Yes thyroid is a possiblty. Have a look at the link. I`d have her tested sooner rather than later. Its a specific test & lots of people in UK, worldwide send the blood to be tested by Jean Dodds in US.

SORRY FORGOT THE LINK

http://www.nzymes.com/Articles/autoi...Jean_Dodds.htm
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2006, 06:35 AM
I agree with Christine - too little meat, too much veg. You have to balance the necessity for weight-loss with giving sufficient energy-producing food.

I would certainly have the thyroid tests done just in case, but perhaps the diet may be making her lethargic.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2006, 06:39 AM
Thanks you 2.

Yeah it is very little meat she's having these days..

But I thought it would be worth a try...

I'll have her checked over.. Thanks
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

05-04-2006, 06:39 AM
[QUOTE= but perhaps the diet may be making her lethargic.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn`t be surprised S/B.....
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

05-04-2006, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Thanks you 2.

Yeah it is very little meat she's having these days..

But I thought it would be worth a try...

I'll have her checked over.. Thanks
You`ve got to up her meat B/L asap, give her an egg with it as well, no shell.
That amount of bone, she`s been having she doesn`t need any more calcium.

If you want to try anything in furture why don`t you run it passed us first or look thru all the sites you`ve got or even read your book thru
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »