View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2011, 06:22 AM

How long till he's seriously hurt or dead?

So walking the dogs yesterday we came back a different way, past the industrail estate, which overlooking the main road has a small window company, anyway walking along when out the open front door of the window company comes a border terrier, straight out, and crosses the main road to us, thankfully there was no cars coming, but when someone come out to call him back there was, and I let her know that there was a car coming she said thats allright, and called him again , thankfully little dog got back unharmed, if I didn't have my hands full with my dogs who were loving this new guy I would of grabbed them, but if I accidently dropped one of their leads they would of wanted to say hi to said woman, I mean I can understand wanting to take your dog to work, I can understand wanting the door open in hot weather, but I can't understand not making sure the dogs safe.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Unfortunately it is an accident waiting to happen. I have known a small number of dogs like that over the years and they have invariably all ended up under the wheels of a vehicle There are some dogs that just know aren't going to make old bones ... and this poor BT sounds like one of them
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Last week on two seperate occassions I found two loose dogs, a sheltie and a border terrier.... owners weren't in the slightest worried... both were found on high speed roads!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2011, 09:32 AM
I just can't believe some owners, and the poor dogs gonna be the one who suffers, and I don't think car drivers will be happy, I just hope that if/when he gets hit by a car theres no kids who are in there.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I just can't believe some owners
There are a lot of them sadly Chaz I've stopped before for several loose dogs. The most recent was a gorgeous young bitch that ran straight across the road in front of us. We stopped and I went after her and she headed towards a house and stood there barking. Her bark told me that she lived there but I knocked on the door anyway. When the chap came out I said 'I take it this is your dog?' He said 'yes' and I told him that she had been out on the other side of the road and run out straight in front of us 'not a' he started and then stopped. I know he was going to say 'again'. He went on to explain that she usually stays in the back garden and pointed to a walled garden - with a gap for a gate and no gate - just a gap

I see it a lot with people's hens too. They always say something like 'oh, they shouldn't be out there, I'll go and get them'. The next day they are back out there again.

Some people don't have the brains they were born with and it is there animals that pay the price plus the distress caused to the poor motorist that hits them.
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-09-2011, 10:38 AM
When I was little we hit a lab that ran out in front of my parents car....the dog ran off limping and my dad followed it back to where it lived.
I was gutted!
A few days later we went to see how he was getting on and all I can remember is this lovely, great big lab shuffling across the carpet for a cuddle with it's back leg in plaster.

This was over thirty years ago however, dogs roamed free all the time.

We didn't let ours out as a rule...I do remember holidaying in Cornwall, there was a black lab in the chalet next door that used to stand outside and bark, we'd open the door, let Fudge our little mutt out and they'd leg it over the sand dunes to the beach...they'd both return an hour ,wet, tired and with big grins on their faces.