Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
My_Jessie
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Devastated - rotty has tumor on shoulder and lung

I'm absolutely heartbroken. Today I found out that my elderly rottweiller called Jessie (13 years old) has developed a tumor on her shoulder and her lung. It's enormous, hard, and she struggles to get up/walk sometimes. I've been told that she'll most likely only live for a few weeks.

I'm writing on here because I'm hoping that I'll find someone who's been in the same situation that can recommend how to treat her until her final days Is there anything I can do to make things easier for her? Anything at all?? The vet just said simply that once she looks like the pain is taking hold it's best to put her down so that she doesn't suffer. At the moment, she's absolutely fine but occassionally will struggle with her legs.

Is there anything I can do though???? Anything?? I'm just giving her fuss, gentle hugs, speaking to her and letting her rest....but I wish there was something more.

Only a couple of months ago my doberman had to be put down (also approx 13 years old) because of problems due to him being so old

I am so devastated and if anyone can suggest anything they did with theirs that seemed to make things better then please tell me

My rottweiller and the gone-but-not-forgotten doby Ron. She loves her torch and he loved his bowl. For some reason the photo's not showing I don't know how to get it to work

jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Really sorry to hear the news It is never easy.

I don't know what to suggest, but just wanted to let you have my best wishes (brilliant photo by the way )
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:27 PM
oh so sorry to hear this (((hugs))) they both look stunning.

ive never been through this, so im not any help. but dogsey is a great place so people should soon be along with lots of help and advice. just make her last weeks the most comfortable you can, and she should tell you when it is time.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:32 PM
hi
i feel for you

by your vets diagnosis i take it your poor girlie has 'secondaries'? (metastasis on her chest) sadly if this is a the case all that can be done is palliative treatment.steroids and/or painkillers would be advisable and lots and lots of love and 'special' times with her(which im sure she is getting already )
i wish i could help more
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:33 PM
*Hugs* So sorry to hear this

I'd just continue to treat her as you have been doing, if she chooses to go and lie down then let her, you'll just know when it's time......

Thinking of you x
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:48 PM
I am so terribly sorry. I lost my dearest heart dog to this awful disease over 8 years ago.

What I am about to say next is not pleasant, but it is something you must know. It has to do with how this disease progresses, so if you choose not to read on, I understand.

--------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------

Dogs with Osteosarcoma that has metastasized to the lungs do not live long. There is really nothing that can be done to halt the disease once this happens.

Bone tumors are also very painful. The bone can break unexpectedly if the tumor goes too far.

Dogs will this type of illness will often crash suddenly and often with little warning when the tumors overwhelm the lungs. If this happens in your home there will be no time to get her to the vet to end her suffering trying to breathe. Dogs that get to this point are panic stricken as they suffocate.

As hard as it is, if this were my dog, I would set a day to send her to the Bridge, soon.

I am so sorry to have to tell you such terrible things, but I feel you must know these things to make the best decision for your dog.

Deepest and sincerest sympathy.
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 10:51 PM
No advice, sorry. Just wanted to send you my condolences and also hugs.
My_Jessie
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by RedyreRotties View Post
I am so terribly sorry. I lost my dearest heart dog to this awful disease over 8 years ago.

What I am about to say next is not pleasant, but it is something you must know. It has to do with how this disease progresses, so if you choose not to read on, I understand.

-----------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------

Dogs with Osteosarcoma that has metastasized to the lungs do not live long. There is really nothing that can be done to halt the disease once this happens.

Bone tumors are also very painful. The bone can break unexpectedly if the tumor goes too far.

Dogs will this type of illness will often crash suddenly and often with little warning when the tumors overwhelm the lungs. If this happens in your home there will be no time to get her to the vet to end her suffering trying to breathe. Dogs that get to this point are panic stricken as they suffocate.

As hard as it is, if this were my dog, I would set a day to send her to the Bridge, soon.

I am so sorry to have to tell you such terrible things, but I feel you must know these things to make the best decision for your dog.

Deepest and sincerest sympathy.
I just burst into tears when I read that....that's so awful It's one of those things where you really think "that'll never happen to my dog"...she's always been so healthy and full of life I just never saw this happening.

I can't stand the idea of what you said could happen, happening to her.... I really can't. That would be so horrific.

Do you know if it can happen at literally, any time? Or is there any chance I could have at least another week with her? At the moment, apart from seeming a bit sore and occasionally struggling with walking/getting up, she seems to be fine in herself and quite happy.

Catch 22 really isn't it.......... Don't want to take her too soon because I want to be with her as long as I can.....but on the other hand I REALLY don't want to risk leaving it too late because of what you described can happen....

but thanks to everyone for all the kind words and understanding, it really does mean a lot to me right now because I'm feeling so very low and it does help a bit.
RedyreRotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2010, 11:28 PM
I am so sorry. Your reply made me cry. There is no way of knowing, but I think your taking a week to spoil her would be good.

I wish I were close enough to give you a hug. It is so hard to lose them.

You will all be in my thoughts.
My_Jessie
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by RedyreRotties View Post
I am so sorry. Your reply made me cry. There is no way of knowing, but I think your taking a week to spoil her would be good.

I wish I were close enough to give you a hug. It is so hard to lose them.

You will all be in my thoughts.
Again thanks for your kind words +I'd gladly accept the hug if we were closer!

I think so much of this is down to shock because I was so convinced it was nothing more than an inury that could be fixed; finding out it's so much more worse than that and she only has a few weeks left is so horrible. I've had her since she was a baby, she was so very small that she's believed to be the runt of the litter and she's done so well to get to the age she is. She's so calm, friendly and lovely too - she's even been able to convert people that are scared of dogs/don't like them!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >