Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wirenth
New Member!
Female 

22-02-2010, 11:03 PM

Has she got a cold???

hey all, only just got back on now that OH has gone to bed he took the dogs out earlier for a walk i believe just down the well lit streets not the lane that i wak them down during the day and since he got back i have noticed that my JRT has a really runny nose and a bit of a puffy eye(all normal signs of a cold in us humans) she is also looking a bit sorry for herself.

she is up to date on all her injections and so is our staffy cross so it shouldn't be anything that she is vaccinated against. she has been drinking normally but i don't know about eating as they had their meal at 6pm, and she there was nothing left in the bowl aftre.

any ideas x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by wirenth View Post
hey all, only just got back on now that OH has gone to bed he took the dogs out earlier for a walk i believe just down the well lit streets not the lane that i wak them down during the day and since he got back i have noticed that my JRT has a really runny nose and a bit of a puffy eye(all normal signs of a cold in us humans) she is also looking a bit sorry for herself.

she is up to date on all her injections and so is our staffy cross so it shouldn't be anything that she is vaccinated against. she has been drinking normally but i don't know about eating as they had their meal at 6pm, and she there was nothing left in the bowl aftre.

any ideas x
Hi Naomi from your description it sounds as though your little dog has an eye irritation of some kind , this could make her nose run .
I would see how it is in the morning and if eye is no better it should be checked by the vet.

You could try gently bathing the eye with a mild saline solution which is of a similar composition to tears (a teaspoon of salt to a pint of boiled water allowed to cool). If you trickle this into the eye it should flush out any debris.

Dogs don't get colds like human colds, they do however get respiratory tract infections which usually result in a cough.
wirenth
New Member!
Female 

22-02-2010, 11:25 PM
thanks i was thinking of calling the vet in the morning anyway so will go ahead and do that as soon as kids have gone to school.

I'll keep you updated x
wirenth
New Member!
Female 

23-02-2010, 10:20 AM
just to update, I just got back from the vets no damage to the eye apart from a small amount of bruising, she has been given pain killers and an anti-inflammatory she ate well this morning and is now sleeping.
The vet reckons it was caused by my staffy cross rough housing with her and the cold conditions outside making it a little more obvious so now all i gotta do is try to stop the pup from being too rough with her over the next few days and see how she goes.

Thanx for the advice x