Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 10:38 AM

buried pets

now most of us have had pets now gone to the bridge.....I just wanted to ask if you bury them at home ? or what have you done ? the reason I am asking this as this morning I was in the garden tidying up the rockery where My first cavalier is buried wishing that i hadn't buried her at home now ..it's been 5years and i still miss her but having her here used to bring me great comfort but now I feel a bit like i can't move on .....

what do you do when your friends go to the bridge???

it just got me thinking about when the time comes to loose another what I would do for the best.....
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi Inca,

Well where I live there is a place in the next town which has a Pet Cemetery set in a lovley woodland area overlooking a beautiful public mansion and well kept grounds leading onto a beautiful river and parks.

Sometimes we go there we have a look as it is very moving each animal has a proper headstone just like a person with pictures and poems about them. Some wee graves even still have the pets toys sitting by the headstone. There was only one place I ever seen like this in a different part fo Scotland. We decided that when the time comes that our dogs will go somewhere like that.

Laura
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-02-2005, 10:46 AM
cremation would be my option. I would be too scared to bury incase we had to move house and leave him/her behind.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 10:59 AM
I forgot to add I would have them cremated just their ashes at the pet cemetary or somewhere special and a nice headstone.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 11:08 AM
ive always buried bunny's in the garden, my last 2 dogs were cremated and scattered into the river...
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 01:03 PM
we've always buried in the garden, dont think i wud do it now as we have had to leave them behind when we moved. I think i wud have them cremated now and either put them in a frame or scatter the ashes on their favourite walk
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 01:27 PM
I deff choose to burie in the garden when the times comes for my pet I have now.

When I was younger and lived at home, my birds, cats, etc were also buried in the garden. I could leave (when I was old enough) cause I felt it like leaving the rest of the house; I was growing up.

Sadly my dog was pts when I was away at camp and my parents didn´t take it home I guess they chose that since I had a hard time letting the dog go, which I´m sure is why they chose to give him peace while I was away.

We also have animal cemetarys here, but when working at the animal shelter I used to help there, and I can´t imagine to chose that for either of mine now. It has also to do with the reason that I will feel (childish I know) obligated to visit often and take care of the place, while I (if burrie them at home) always will have them around.

Working for pets I have seen what happens to some animals after being pts so I could never chose that.

My choise will therefore be to burrie them in my garden and hopefully wont have to leave until I´m the one they have to burri (not there though )
Fingers crossed that both my cat and my dog will last till we have found our own place...which better be soon if I´m not to go crazy
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 01:31 PM
I've heard of a great midway solution.... Instead of burying the dog in the garden. You take a nice pottery with a plant on top.... A Rosebush or something.. I think someone mentioned it on this site a few days back...

You can always bring the plant (and the ashes of your loved one)with u....'

That would be my chocie
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-02-2005, 04:29 PM
When the time comes, my lads will be buried in the garden, where I can bid them goodnight, just as I have every night I've had them. They will have spent their lives in this house, so I think they should rest in the place they've known best - home. My plan for leaving here myself is "feet first", so why not?

Snorri
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2005, 05:40 PM
what do you do when your friends go to the bridge???

I have a little piece of the garden that is a resting place to Percy Snuggles (hamster) Monty mouse , Missy (another hampster), Taz (canary) and various goldfish

We lost a collie when living at home and dad buried her in the garden when we were younger. Although it was nice to have her near it was also a bit weird too as i always expected to see her dug up when dad was gardening
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >