Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magz
New Member!
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:34 AM

Elderly dog being sick during the night

Hi,
Bobby, my 13yr old collie has started being sick during the night. He has had long term skin problems and 8 weeks ago I started him on a complete meusli food for sensitive skin, which has worked wonders. However, on 3 out of the last 4 nights he has vomitted copiously. The vomit is pretty well undigested meusli. He is still very active and not in any way, lethargic.
The other 3 dogs in the house have had a bout of kennel cough. Bobby however, has not, as far as I can tell, been affected in any way.
Any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks, Margaret
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by magz View Post
Hi,
Bobby, my 13yr old collie has started being sick during the night. He has had long term skin problems and 8 weeks ago I started him on a complete meusli food for sensitive skin, which has worked wonders. However, on 3 out of the last 4 nights he has vomitted copiously. The vomit is pretty well undigested meusli. He is still very active and not in any way, lethargic.
The other 3 dogs in the house have had a bout of kennel cough. Bobby however, has not, as far as I can tell, been affected in any way.
Any advice would be welcome.

Many thanks, Margaret
Hi Margaret, I think a vet check is advisible here to see if there is anything going. How many meals a day do you feed and at what time, is Bobby pooing ok?

Other than that with an adult dog I would starve for 24 hours to rest the tummy ( dogs often dispel things that could cause a problem and can continue doing so until the stomach settles ) then feed a bland diet of boiled white rice and fish or chicken just a couple of tablespoons . If the first lot stays down give every two hours for the first day then three meals the second day and if all is well reintroduce the normal food gradually.

I would make sure there is water available at all times but would keep refiling the bowl with a little rather than putting a lot down in one go which might be gulped down and come back up again
magz
New Member!
Female 

26-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Bobby has one meal a day at 4p.m. plus the odd treat. This hasn't changed in years and there has never been a problem. His faeces are normal, he drinks quite a lot of water, which is normal for him. He exercises well and is otherwise in good health.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Hmmmm a mystery, as Mini says I think I would get him checked out just in case.
Good luck.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I would be off to the vets also as your dog is an oldie there is an increased chance of something underlying the reasons for vomiting. Also would be doing as Mini said and I wonder if the food you are now giving your dog may not be the right one for your dog even though it is made for sensitive skin it may not agree with your dogs digestive tract and would also be feeding your dog two or three smaller meals a day rather than one that is of course after visiting the vet. Good luck
Boxacrazy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2010, 09:56 PM
It could be allergies to the food that's causing the sickness.

I had that with one of mine, after a 4 figure vet bill and the various tests involved it was determined that she had dietry intolerances.

We now feed three meals a day and two kongs (1 in the morning and one in the afternoon) which take about 50grs of the vet prescription diet.
All of this with medications etc and under veterinary supervision.

We've seen great improvement and she's now off medication. She will be kept on her complete diet unless things change again.

It may well be worth taking your dog to the vet and get this checked out.