Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 03:58 PM

Dundon Beacon

Dundon Beacon is an Iron Age hill fort a couple of miles away from me. I hadn't been up there for over 25 years, so one day last week when the sun was shining, I got on the bus with Merlin and off we went.

Firstly - a bit about the Beacon:

We took a public footpath across the fields to reach the Beacon, which included a very brief but wonderful sighting of a stoat which darted across our path and torpedoed into the hedge! Once we reached the main track up to the top, we decided to take a little woodland path to the left, and walked through the woods:

Towards the top we found a lovely shady glade made by two enormous horse-chestnut trees. Just beside them was a small natural spring, which I read later was a holy spring in the middle ages. Merlin certainly enjoyed a long drink. Dangling from the chestnut trees were a number of rope swings - now, you're never too old to enjoy a rope swing!!

Finally on top of the beacon and the landscape opened out before us into wild-flower meadows:

There were three types of wild orchid growing:

Greater Butterfly Orchid:

Marsh Orchid:

Canine Awkward Orchid:

Walking around the ramparts of the hill fort, which are original dating back to the Iron Age, we had lovely views:

In the south-east corner of the hill fort is the Beacon itself, originally a burial mound (excavated in 1813) but thought to have been enlarged in the middle ages to serve as a mound for lighting beacon fires. Growing in the centre is a large ash tree, perfect to lean up against while taking a rest.

It was while i was resting I noticed a nearby tree was peppered with holes, and from one hole I heard an insistent, non-stop piping. I watched through my little binoculars and was rewarded by the sight of a Great Spotted Woodpecker coming to feed its young.

Merlin also enjoyed relaxing on the mound:

On the way back down the hill we found another scarce wild flower, Yellow Rattle (an indicator of ancient pastureland):

Gorgeous place, great for dogs - very peaceful and quiet but.... beware of ticks! Also, at certain times of year there will be sheep grazing.

Further information:
http://www.isleofavalon.co.uk/sacredsites/dundon.html
http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=7669
http://www.visitsomerset.co.uk/site/...beacon-p998233
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2011, 04:18 PM
What a wonderful, interesting place, it's lovely. Am glad you went back after such a long time and both you n Merlin enjoyed being there. They're great photos n remind me how much of this beautiful country I(n Scoop) would very much like to see, thanks for posting them
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Aww Bless Merlin's a gorgeous lad It looks like such a beautiful place to walk Thanks for sharing x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Ham Hill is great too.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Ham Hill is great too.
Yes, that's a place I'd like to revisit (last there when I was about 9 years old!) but not get-to-able by public transport.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Wow!! Looks like an amazing place to walk and merlin looks like he enjoyed it too. Lovely pictures, The flowers are very pretty
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 02:41 PM
Great pics, looks like a beautiful place to walk
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 03:54 PM
A friend came to visit today, and knowing she loves Iron Age hill forts (she is an archaeologist), we went for a walk up there again. Just as beautiful as before, and she was amazed by the orchid meadow. The woodpecker chicks were still squeaking from their hole in the ash tree and we saw mum (or dad) flitting by.

Best of all, when we got to the burial mound and looked out at the view, a pair of ravens were soaring above the woods! My goodness but they are huuuuge! I thought they were buzzards at first but when one turned, its glossy black plumage caught the light and flashed like a mirror, and they were far, far too dark to be anything but ravens.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2011, 04:00 PM
I think your dog is stunning.

And I like the 'canine awkward' species. I know what that's like, I have one too