Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ti Amo's Owner
New Member!
Male 

01-09-2009, 01:40 AM

Hmm...bit of a poser?

About a week or so ago, I noticed a few raised bits in his fur, about the size of matcheads.

Nothing serious.

Over the past few days, they seem to have gone into small bald spots, small, but you can see them. They are NOT tics, and he has had effective flea treatment.

When I run them, they are flakey and dry, a bit like dandruff.

Any thoughts on what it can be, and how best to treat it?

Point 2..

When I first got him from the dog kennels, he made an odd sort of noise when walking.

It sounded like a goose or a pig, a sort of gutteral snorting.

It was not due to pulling, he doesnt tend too, v much.

It is not due to the lead, as he wears a harness.

He doesn't even always seem to do it, but when he does, it is v audible, and to the untrained ear, might sound aggresive, or a growl, when it definitely is not that.

Thanks
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 10:12 AM
My staffy grunts when she walks, usually it's louder when she's sniffing. She also grunts when she eats. They are very vocal dogs - mine talks and sings too.

RE the skin problem, staffies are prone to skin infections so it might be worth taking your dog to the vet to have a look.

HTH x
Ti Amo's Owner
New Member!
Male 

01-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi, thanks, I didn't think the snorting thing was esp serious, was slightly worried that it might be a breathing issue, but not convinced that it is.

Would you say Staffs are as prone to skin problems as Bull Terriers. I kept them before, and they were always having a few problems with their skin. Anything (prior to going to vets), that I could try on him, in the meantime?

Thanks

x
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 01:42 PM
I've never had a Bull Terrier so I don't know. I put Kronch Salmon Oil in my staffy's food everyday and that really helps the coat and skin.

But I don't know what you could put on your dog, because I don't know what the problem is (if you see what I mean). If it's sore or itchy maybe some calamine lotion or Sudocrem?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 03:12 PM
Hi Steve,

Good to see you on here

I would say the grunting is just typical staffie noise, Bruno often sounds like a pot bellied pig when being walked !! LOL

Regarding the skin thing, I think I would get it checked by the vets, could be bites from mites or something and he has just irritated it scrcatching it and the hair has come out, but would be better getting it checked by a vets they could take a wee skin scraping.

How long since he has been out of the kennels?
What flea treatment did you use too ? some dogs can get reactions to frontline spot on. etc.

dani
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Are the lumps hard to touch ? they could be polyps, Nero has one under his neck, I'd keep my eye on them, it's unusual for a "few" of them to appear.
Ti Amo's Owner
New Member!
Male 

01-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
Hi Steve,

Good to see you on here

I would say the grunting is just typical staffie noise, Bruno often sounds like a pot bellied pig when being walked !! LOL

Regarding the skin thing, I think I would get it checked by the vets, could be bites from mites or something and he has just irritated it scrcatching it and the hair has come out, but would be better getting it checked by a vets they could take a wee skin scraping.

How long since he has been out of the kennels?
What flea treatment did you use too ? some dogs can get reactions to frontline spot on. etc.

dani
Hi Dani,

That is what I will do then, I will make him an apt for the vets, soon as I can. He has been out of the dog home about a month. I hope the fur grows back, as he has such a lovely coat, otherwise. When I scrape it with my finger, it is dry, sort of flakes a bit, like a baby's cradlecap? The flea treatment he had was called Stronhold, however, the skin thing started to appear before he was given that.

Steve
Ti Amo's Owner
New Member!
Male 

01-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
Are the lumps hard to touch ? they could be polyps, Nero has one under his neck, I'd keep my eye on them, it's unusual for a "few" of them to appear.
Not really lumps, not really raised at all. Just a few tiny bald spots, all of a sudden, that feel very dry.

Steve
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Could they have been scabs?
Ti Amo's Owner
New Member!
Male 

01-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Not sure. They don't look red, there is no dry blood, nothing like that. It is bugging me though!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >