View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bears Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2005, 08:46 PM

Yearly Health Checks for my Dogs? (Are annual check-ups necessary?)

My vets send me a yearly letter, letting me know when my two dogs are due their booster jabs. It is part of a health check - eyes, ears and glands. They charge 35 quid per dog.
Is this health check necessary IYO, and what exactly does their booster jab DO?

Maz xxx
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 08:49 PM
im not sure wot anyone else thinks, but i always think its a good idea to get ur dog checked over at least once a year.

I was undecided about the booster so originally didnt get it done until a dog i rehomed came down with suspected parvo and i decided it wasnt worth the risk so got her in for her yearly jab
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2005, 08:53 PM
My vet only charges for the booster, the annual check up is free. Mind you, I cant remember what I paid for the booster!
Bears Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Hi girls, thanks for the replies. I would always get the checks done, I would feel awful if I never tbh. The vet they see is smashing and very well respected - I've known him since I was a kid, sometimes I just wonder if he is over the top about things!
Someone told me that boosters weren't necessary unless your dog went into kennels (like when you are away on holiday or whatever).
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2005, 11:28 PM
My dogs go for a yearly check at the same time as there boosters (well 1 isnt boosterd anymore) I have always boosterd my dogs but have offten wonderd if its worth it. Then we had a suspected case of Lepto in one of the cross breeds (not my dog but same house as mine long story) sadly we lost her but it turned out not to be Lepto and nothing we could of prevented even if she was boosted. This made the owner reaslise how important it is to get them done. (6 dogs all injected the next day)
On advise from one of my vets I dont get my eldest dog done anymore as hes now 9yr old and has been done upto being 7 so the vet feels that he has enough immunity in his body (hes also on heart tabs and gets very strssed going to the vets so we dont need to upset him more than we have to) My 7yr old dog will prob have 2more boosters then no more for him as hes still showing so mixing with alot of other dogs.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2005, 12:01 AM
An annual check-up is very important, and the more thorough your vet is the better. With old dogs a twice-yearly check-up is sometimes wise.

Home health checks should also be carried out between vet visits. You might find this article of interest Maz: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/rou...dog_10196.html
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2005, 06:45 AM
Our vet charges £25 for the booster with a health check It gives a chance to speak with the vet about any concerns I have.

When our pets get to 8 years old the vet does a free clinic for older pets although I am not sure how often you can do.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2005, 06:48 AM
Originally Posted by Gellygoo
My vet only charges for the booster, the annual check up is free. Mind you, I cant remember what I paid for the booster!
My vet's the same - just charges for whatever "drugs" are administered - the yearly "check up", if you can call it that, it just a cursory look over, nothing more. I usually get a wormer, but having discussed it and seen many comments on this forum, I am in agreement that I shouldn't be treating my dog for something he doesn't have - that'll cut the bill down somewhat
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

08-11-2005, 07:23 AM
I don`t vaccinate or worm but they do have check ups

They have fecals & blood tests done.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-11-2005, 08:06 AM
i am a gold member at my vets both of mine get a check over every 6 months.
they get their boosters when due with the general once over also the flea/worm treatment every month.
i'm not sure what the boosters do or if needed yearly but mine will have them anyway,i would sooner be safe than sorry.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >