Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 10:44 AM

Urgent help needed- rehomed dog screaming when left

I trim a 7 year old working cocker and recently her owners asked me to rehome here for them as they didnt have time for her any more and there son had left home
We were originally going to put her throught the rescue that we're involved with then someone at Ians work said he's take here.
She's been with then a week now and they've rang to day to say there having WW3 with the neighbours as shes screams when they leave her.
Poor little things obviously feeling neglected, and I know this wasnt a problem before.
Has any one got ant sugguestions, I have serene Um tablets they can have does any one know if they work.
I'm dreading rehoming her again, and the new owners are devestated as when there with her shes fine and sleeps on their bed.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Have they tried the usual stuffed kongs? I've used Denes Nerve tablets in the past with a degree of success.
Becky
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks Becky, I'll mention it to them. If it was me I'd be tellling the neighbours to £$%^ off.
She really need a couple of weeks to settle in.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 11:32 AM
I agree, tell the neighbours to go take a long walk off a short pier and encourage your friends to keep persisting, only leave her for a few mins at a time, perhaps going right back to just being in the next room for a couple of mins then going back?
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Any one think a anti bark collar might be worth a try or will it traumatise her more.
Sweeps really settled when there with her.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 11:46 AM
The problem I found with the anti bark collars is that they can go off accidentally and that may well have the opposite effect. Also some dogs are known to bark through the collar until it is empty so again doesn't solve the problem.
It's a pity the neighbours aren't a bit more understanding. Is the problem really as bad as the neighbours make out? I used to pretend to go out in the car then park down the road and sneak back and listen to see if my dogs were noisy and they weren't. She may be very noisy for 10 mins and then shut up. That is usualloy consider acceptable, in fact upto approx 20 mins before it is deemed a nusiance.
Becky
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Any one think a anti bark collar might be worth a try or will it traumatise her more.
Sweeps really settled when there with her.
I'd be very very careful as if the dog is distressed she's vocalising because of that - I'd really not advise it as in difficult cases it could mean that the dog would do something else to relieve anxiety such as start to chew stuff or even mutilate itself (worse case scenario).

It really needs a reputable behaviourist because if it is true separation anxiety (sounds as if it could be...) the dog needs help and the owners need to follow a programme to sort it out .

If it's SA but not serious, then things like stuffed kongs, DAP diffusers etc can help. If the dog is getting very wound up it could be more serious. Is there any destruction at all? Do you know how long they are leaving her for?

Also if the dog is with them literally all the time at home and not being taught to lie chewing kongs etc behind a childgate, but within full view, there may be problems as being with owners all the time and then being separated when they go out is more hard than learning to enjoy alone time with or without them

I'd say it's imperative the cause of the problem is found - for instance, is the dog scared of noises nearby when left, (my second dog was very scared of noises from the flat above when left alone); is it actual fear of being left, or is it just boredom, etc.

Wys
x
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Thank you all, not sure to be honest, she crate trained and she seems to have been ok with her old owners.
They've tried leaving her out of the crate, and that didnt seem to help.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2007, 06:37 AM
a stuffed kong...filled with stuff she doesn't normally get..lots of tasty smelly sticky stuff. ONLY give her it when they go OUT as soon as they come in, take it away. Throw some of her food (if she is on dried stuff) over the floor as well..give her something to do as they leave to take her mind off the fact that they are going.
A DAP diffuser would be fantastic as she is bound to be upset at the changes shes experienced, you can also get the spray now that they could pop onto her bedding.
Definitely odn't use any sort of antibark collar as the poor dog will only get worse!
Hope they get it sorted. Personally, I'd pop round to the neighbours and explain whats going on, offer a bottle of wine and if needs be ask for their assistance? Tell them her story and explain how traumatised she is...make them feel really guilty and bingo you have a friend not a foe.
Hope they get it sorted for all of them.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm livid too be honest, the new owners are adamant they cant keep here as they've had problems with this particular neighbour before, which they didnt mention when they said they'd have the dog originally.
Any way I rang sweeps old owners to see if this was a new problem or an old one to be told we dont want her back tough if we'd have charged for her we wouldnt have given the money back and they got her free.
I pointed out I'd rehomed her as a favour and no one in there right mind would pay for a 7 year old dog and what did he expect me to with her now and the b!"£^)& hung up on me.
So it looks like poor Sweeps going to my friend to be rehomed through rescue.
Sorry for the rant but I've got steam coming out of my ears I'm so mad.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >