Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2009, 06:58 AM

Robbie's poorly!

Hi

Taking Robbie to the vets later. He's had the runs on and off all week but we think he has an intolerance to chicken. They both had some on Monday night and on Tuesday morning Robbie's poo was very soft and has been either like that since or very runny and making puddles. I've had him on ProKolin but doesn't seem to have made a difference. So ringing the vets when they open to arrange to go in this afternoon, I'm going to take the afternoon off so I can get him there as early as possible this afternoon in case he is given antibiotics and they can start working asap.

He's had chicken in the past and been slightly loose the day after but nothing like this.

He is fine in himself, drinking normally and still looking for squirrels when we go out. I know the chicken was ok and cookled enough as Lady is ok but we think she has a cast iron stomach anyway as she is always on the look out for anything she can eat when we are out and has never had any effects from anything she has managed to get.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Thats no good, poor Robbie, at least he sounds like he is still alright in himself and hope the vet has some answers. Just wondering if it would be worth doing allergy testing on him or an elimination diet (as I am doing at the moment on Scratch).
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2009, 08:45 AM
poor robbie! i hope he feels better really soon. good luck at the vets. xx
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2009, 10:41 AM
I hope the vet can give him something to help.

Gwet Well soon Robbie, sending lots of hugs
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-10-2009, 10:46 AM
He's had the runs on and off all week but we think he has an intolerance to chicken. They both had some on Monday night and on Tuesday morning Robbie's poo was very soft and has been either like that since or very runny and making puddles. I've had him on ProKolin but doesn't seem to have made a difference. So ringing the vets when they open to arrange to go in this afternoon, I'm going to take the afternoon off so I can get him there as early as possible this afternoon in case he is given antibiotics and they can start working asap.

'He's had chicken in the past and been slightly loose the day after but nothing like this'
Hi Karen most of the chickens reared these days are 'grown quickly' and have a very high fat content which doesn't help when a dog has diarrhoea.
If feeding chicken to a sick dog it is best to remove the skin which contains a lot of the fat, then cook the chicken covered in the oven/cool/remove the fat.

I much prefer to use white fish for upset tummies. Most supermarkets sell packs of frozen Coley, it come in blocks of 6 to a pack and costs around £2.60 a pack. As it is solid fish you don't need to us a lot when mixing with well cooked white rice. I always have some in my freezer in readiness.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Poor Robbie, hope he is soon recovered. Get well soon, Robbie xx
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Just got home now to take them to the vets (I have to take Lady as well otherwise we'd have no house left when I get back) and he's jumping up and down like an idiot! If you saw him, you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with him.

Will update when I get from the vets (the vet I'm seeing at the practice is so gorgeous so I might not catch all he says to me for drolling!).

Karen
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I didn't see the gorgeous vet - they had an emergency
c-section come in so he was in theatre.

The vet I did see agreed that it sounded like his system doesn't like chicken and that it can be common in dogs. Even though chicken seems like a bland meat, it can be quite rich to some dogs systems and the protein can be too much. She did say that he should be ok on turkey meat instead as the meat and protein is different. He's had a long lasting antibiotic injection, on another tube of ProKolin and has to be starved for 24 hours, after which she said he should be ok.

Just got to work out how to fed Lady her tea but not give Robbie any.