Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 01:15 PM

Do you find your tastes changing?

do you find your tastes changed as your circumstances did over what breed of dogs you would have?

i love my big dogs, however after the recent issue with asbo and archie i know while i have asbo a big lively dog is out of the question. which means all my gundog choices are a no go.

because of that i have resigned that small dogs are going to be my future for as long as i have asbo. i have been looking at what breeds i like that are small enough for asbo to get along with. my wish list has gone from big breeds like my weimaraner and flatcoat to smaller dogs like the chihuahua and frenchie.

with me not showing as much its not essential that i have a puppy from people who have good "to the standard" dogs, obviously health is important but im quite happy with pets.

im considering a rescue in all honesty, and for some reason find myself drawn to jack russels. i think its because i see so many at the horse shows and on the farm i work on. yet if you asked me a few years ago they were a breed i would of never owned.

do you find that your tastes change or had to change (like in my case) or have you always stuck with the one breed through through and through?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 01:18 PM
My tastes have not actually changed as such I was always a GSD fan until I read about the Weimaraner. So I have had both.

I think it is not so much about your actual tastes but what you are exposed to.

I never really knew anything about BSDs until the last 8 years and the more I got to know about them (Working Line) the more I was attracted to them.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
My tastes have not actually changed as such I was always a GSD fan until I read about the Weimaraner. So I have had both.

I think it is not so much about your actual tastes but what you are exposed to.

I never really knew anything about BSDs until the last 8 years and the more I got to know about them (Working Line) the more I was attracted to them.
i think thats it, im around alot of dogs that i wasnt around before now im working at the kennels and the farm. my circumstances changed, and i have to think about my dogs being around the horses, and i think its just "the norm" for the majority of people to have a jack russel on their farm
STGSD
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 01:42 PM
I agree with SB, it can be what you are exposed to. GSD's were my first love and I think always will be. OH wanted a Rottweiler and although I love the breed, never thought i'd own one but since having Zeus I am seeing how fantastic the breed can be! There are many breeds that I adore and consider for the future since discovering them.

I'm also a big dog person, but we have found ourselves considering a small bitch. We have seen how the boys have been with the dinky ladies we've had stay with us and it has got us thinking. It isn't the time for us to add another large breed to the pack, but a little lady might fit in...
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 01:44 PM
No Jack Russell on this farm - or likely to ever be

I have always been a GSD person through and through. I can't see that ever changing - although my taste within the breed has undergone changes over the years. I initially liked the "traditional", bog standard GSD - black/tan with the black saddle and standard coated. I then met a few longcoats and really liked their look, so had a couple of fluffies, and have admired WL for a few years now and so now also have a dark sable WL. I imagine it will be the WL standard coated type of dog for me from now on, as I have been so impressed with Zak. He epitomises what I always imagined my "dream" GSD would be - in looks, but most importantly in his temperament and personality.

I would never say never to another border collie, as they have been on my wish list since I was young (as well as GSDs) but I have now had two collies and my hubby will always have collies, so I feel I can borrow his if necessary
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
No Jack Russell on this farm - or likely to ever be

I have always been a GSD person through and through. I can't see that ever changing - although my taste within the breed has undergone changes over the years. I initially liked the "traditional", bog standard GSD - black/tan with the black saddle and standard coated. I then met a few longcoats and really liked their look, so had a couple of fluffies, and have admired WL for a few years now and so now also have a dark sable WL. I imagine it will be the WL standard coated type of dog for me from now on, as I have been so impressed with Zak. He epitomises what I always imagined my "dream" GSD would be - in looks, but most importantly in his temperament and personality.

I would never say never to another border collie, as they have been on my wish list since I was young (as well as GSDs) but I have now had two collies and my hubby will always have collies, so I feel I can borrow his if necessary
every horsebox i see has an accompanying jack russel im hoping to take my two to the shows when i get my trailer license.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Ah yes, in 2013 the rules change don't they? You never used to need a special licence to tow a trailer.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Ah yes, in 2013 the rules change don't they? You never used to need a special licence to tow a trailer.
yes, so im doing my car test in 6 weeks and then following straight on with my trailer license i think. seeing as if all goes to plan horse is arriving this time next year, im going to need it!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
every horsebox i see has an accompanying jack russel im hoping to take my two to the shows when i get my trailer license.
Oh, THAT sort of farm ... you mean a livery then
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Oh, THAT sort of farm ... you mean a livery then
no must admit the jack russels are in the horseboxes, but the farm i work one where we have beefstock, the shires, and the dreaded geese
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >