Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gonchie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2010, 03:50 PM

Crate rest... How much?

I've admitted defeat and started using a crate for Sally after her cruciate op (Tibial Tuberosity Advancement). She came home on wednesday and was quite sedate for the first few days however over the weekend she has become more active as her swelling is reducing and she is obviously feeling much better.

She's 2 and never needed a crate before so I have weaned her in gently, i think! I use it if I go out and overnight for the last couple of nights to restrict her movement but in the last couple of days she's started jumping up and down on the furniture (she is allowed on it) and up to the window to bark at passers by and I am wondering if she needs more day time crate time? The problem is she does it when my back is turned so I'm getting nothing done!!

I dont want her to be in there all of the time but I dont know how much is considered OK? She still has another week of no walks and then can only have 3x 5 minute walks building up by a further 5 mins each week until she's reviewed at 6 weeks. I'm just terrified of her fracturing the bone that has been moved as that will mean more surgery!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I would talk to your vet. He certainly is in a much better position to advise you than any of us here.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 05:47 PM
For a healthy dog I would keep the crate time to an absolute minimum, but for a recouperating dog, it is different.

If your vet has said that Sally is not to jump around at this stage, and you can't always keep an eye on her, I think you should crate her whenever necessary to avoid any potential damage to the knee.

Try and make more time to be with her out of the crate - keeping her entertained so that one (1) she won't jump up (2) she will settle better in the crate. But when you can't be with her, crate her.

I was lucky with Hoki in that as we don't allow ours on the furniture, she wouldn't try and jump up, so all we had to do was block off the stairs. But if she had been the type to jump around I wouldn't have hesitated to crate her whenever necessary to protect her knee.
gonchie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Normally we only let the dogs up when we bring out the throw but the throw has become part of the furniture whist she's been ill (We've had over 2 months of restricted walks and the sofa keeps her relaxed) I know its my own fault but its never bothered me her being up with us.

I am with her all the time as I am off sick, but if I leave the room to make a cuppa or go to the loo she jumps up then or jumps down even if she's sleeping and appears settled!! So far her leg seems to be ok, no additional pain or swelling and she is generally leaving the stitches alone.

I have so many toys but she's not interested, even in the treat toys. She just wants to play rough and tumble with our younger dog. Prior to these problems she would have a couple of really good runs and she would pretty much sleep all day.
Its just very frustrating. Thanks for the advice.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 07:12 PM
I am not sure if this will be of help, but when our dog had a cruciate op we restricted her access to the lounge so that she could not jump on and off the furniture; she only came in when we were there also, so that we could keep her on the floor. There was a child's stair gate to stop her going upstairs (one of the worse things possible). We also made a sort of cage around the front door, so that she could see what was going on in the outside world without being able to investigate it. Yes, she did jump up at the wire when people came, but fortunately it did no harm.

I think that a balance has to be found between keeping your dog sane, and also safe from further damage. This may sound cruel, but our vet advised against any form of painkillers (our dog was on Metacam for arthritis at the time), as he said that he wanted her to "feel" her leg.
gonchie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks Bitkin, she's on metacam too and will be for the 6 weeks initially, and her last dose of paracetamol/codeine is tonight.
We do have a stairgate moreso for the younger dog but we think that she fell down the stairs in her lampshade a few months ago when she had her front paw op and that may have caused this (Initially she was treated for a broken tail!!) She's really been in the wars lately!

I did think about bringing the crate into the lounge (I cant keep her in the hall as my house doesnt flow that well) but I guess i dont want her to be in it while I am there but if Im upstairs or outside I will put her in for a bit!

I cant take my eyes off her for a minute, and I thought I had my work cut out with the puppy lol!! x
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 07:34 PM
I really feel for you Gonchie, having been through it all myself.

One thing that helped to harden my heart throughout the months of recuperation was the thought that if she tore the ligament repair, we would have to start all over again and it would be far worse.

So - when you feel sorry for your poor dear dog, steel yourself by thinking of what you would have to go through if another more difficult operation was needed. Doing this really helped me to do the right thing, even though it was hard at times. The reward was a sound dog after a few months.
gonchie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2010, 07:41 PM
You are very right Bitkin! Good to know your pooch was back up and running after a couple of months! Fingers crossed we will be too x
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Good luck gonchie, and before you know it all this will be behind you.

Sometimes a good stiff drink helps too!!!
gonchie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-03-2010, 07:54 PM
That sounds like a plan x