View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2009, 09:04 PM

How can I stop pup playing with the water bowl and tipping it everywhere?

Hi,

I have Lola a Lab/Collie X who is coming up for 6 months old, she has lived with us for only 2 weeks now, but the last few days have been a bit of a nightmare, she will not stop playing with the water bowl and making a real mess with the water. At first I thought it was becasue she could see her reflection in the bowl as it was a metal one, and wanted to play with the dog she could see in the bowl, so I changed it to a dark plastic bowl and it was fine for a few days, and now she has started again!

Now I know it is only water, and it is easy to clean up, but I have another doggie to consider too....and I don't really enjoy walking in puddles (I walk around barefoot at home) and I don't think 2 water bowls is going to help the situation,

I wondered if anyone has any experience out there or know of anything that may be of use! Thanks so much!

Becky
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Hiya ive had the same problem with my puppy who is 6 months now - i feel awful for my other dog whos quite particular to wear everything is and it has to be in the same place lol. (stange i know)!

the only way i stopped her from tipping the water over was to get a very very heavy bowl cost about £7 but she cant tip it over any more! although she likes to put her paws in it!!

x
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Kismet loved to paw and paddle... I'm afraid I solved it by putting a towel under the bowl and leaving her to it... she grew out of it... but if that's not an option how about investing in one of those water fountain things?

I have seen them for sale in PAH and Seapets locally and often thought they look like a good idea..
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Tilly does similar but only when the water is less than half - I guess that's her idea of empty! she tips it up then brings me the bowl!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Hannaho View Post

the only way i stopped her from tipping the water over was to get a very very heavy bowl cost about £7 but she cant tip it over any more! although she likes to put her paws in it!!

x
Same here. Chis seem to love nothing better than getting the water bowl in their mouth and walking across the room with it so it's the ugly heavy earthenware types that I use. Even though I have pretty little princess plastic ones that sit in the cupboard not getting used

Dogs eh, who'd have 'em
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2009, 09:22 PM
yep im exactly the same pink ones a bought are in the cupboard and ive got a horrible brown one on the floor - might tie a ribbon around it lol
Flatcoatdreams
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Have you tried a spaniel bowl? My dog always used to tip her water up but the spaniel bowl cured this problem instantly! Of course, it won't stop her from putting her paws in and playing though. We got ours from Pets At Home.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Flatcoatdreams View Post
Have you tried a spaniel bowl? My dog always used to tip her water up but the spaniel bowl cured this problem instantly! Of course, it won't stop her from putting her paws in and playing though. We got ours from Pets At Home.

Excellent idea. Like you say, it won't stop her putting her paws in but I think it might make it less fun, if she can't splatter the water about quite so easily
esmegirl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2009, 06:30 AM
Thanks you guys!
I really don't mind her dabbing her paws, I liken pups to little kids, (my son was always in the dogs bowl when he was crawling about) I mean they have to learn about the enviroment in which they live don't they?
it is when she tips it up and there is about a litre of water in it....
So I will go out today and buy a ceramic one, which I was hesitant to do as I thought she may pick that up then it would get broken but guessing now that is not the case!

bless pups...
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2009, 11:33 AM
what about a raised feeder.

Hector likes to play in the water bowl but once i bought the raised feeder it stopped.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >