Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rrkimba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-08-2005, 12:19 PM

strange rash

three of my dogs have a strange rash around their groin, at first i thought it was eczema, and i put some ointment on their rashes, but it hasnt cleared up. it doesnt bother any of them, it just looks sore. also, now one of them has a sore near her nipple, it looks like a bite.
does anyone have any ideas on what i should put on it. i have tried E45 cream.

thankyou
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-08-2005, 12:31 PM
Could be a reaction to what ever you wash your hounds beds in, what your clean your floors with, what has been sprayed where they walk, what they have eaten or it could be insect bites. Try antihistamine or if you or the manufactures have changed the content of a product you use, try changing that.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-08-2005, 09:31 PM
The rash in the groin area coupld be urine scald. Sometimes the skin becomes irritated if there is 'splashback' when they have a pee
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 05:56 AM
That is true SB but it seems strange that 3 dogs would have the same problem at the same time having not suffered before, don't you think? And would not E45 protect the skin from this.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 08:25 AM
I have used Sudocrem (baby nappy cream) on our dog when he has had a particular rash or sore. Otodex also do a doggy skin cream that smells lovely and seems to soothe. You might want to try tea tree lotion (specially made for dogs) which is available from pet shops for about £5-£6 and I have found quite good to soothe rashes and bites, although it has quite a strong smell
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2005, 09:21 AM
Sudocrem will help if it is a urine burn but otherwise it would be nice to know what is causing it.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-08-2005, 12:28 PM
As all three dogs are affected, and if it is the same on all of them I would take one of them to the vets..
Generally speaking if it is an alergy of some kind the spots are usually under the skin (like nettle rash/uticaria) if a flea bite they have a red pin p/r/i/c/k (where blood was drawn)..other bites also have a 'head'... dermatitis can have a 'crust' . If it is still there now I would go to the vets..
NatalieS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Rocco has just has a rash in the same place, lots of little red pimples all under his back legs where the hair and skin is much finer. Our vet looked at it and thought it was an allergy of some sort - he said that it's pretty common at this time of year. He told me to get something from the pet store called ResiCORT, it's a leave on lotion that has a 1% hydrocortisone in it - it took it away really quickly.
rrkimba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-08-2005, 03:31 PM
i think it was the stuff that i washed their bedding in, i recently changed washing powder. im now using sensitive powder, and the rash is going away. Thankyou for your help!!!