Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2008, 11:33 PM

three forward, two back

Kismet had been doing so well. She had started to slow down with her dinner and had started to eat on the other side of the glass doors from Selkie. Treats were fine, and she'd even stopped attacking the others if a treat dropped on the floor. Her 'leave it' and 'wait' training were going fabulously and the house, despite her being half way through her season was more or less anger free.

Then tonight, out of the blue she launched a full scale attack on Selkie who was lying on her bed minding her own business. Just flew into her and had to be dragged off. I tried to get her attention, to get her to calm, but she was having none of it. I had to put her out in the conservatory to calm down. After 5 mins I let her back in the room and she tried to cuddle up on the bed next to Selkie as if nothing had happened. Selkie understandably growled at her then slinked off upstairs.

I know she's all hormonal and tetchy, but I'm beginning to wonder if she has a mental problem.

I'm not looking for advice I suppose, maybe sympathy. Back to basics tomorrow again tomorrow. But I think the season is still playing havoc with her, training doesn't seem to stick.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Much sympathy to you
I know what it feels like
Mia is to say the least just a little tempramntal and I have been watching like a hawk to see what sets her off, but one day like you say, Ben was asleep with his back to her and she was lieing quietly the other side of the room then she just launced on him and had to be seperated

Your girl being in the middle of a season will not help
Just take your time, I am sure it will get better - and it sounds like you are making great progress

We are pretty much doing the same thing, Lots of training, treats together is working, time out for any posturing or agression
and (touch wood) no fights for 2 weeks now - actually never had a fight when its just me in the house (thankfully dont know how I would seperate them on my own)
and last night when I was taking Ben for training Mia was crying, when I go out just me she dosent squeek, but she was protesting that Ben was leaving her!!
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Is Selkie spayed? If so no real 'threat' in reproduction terms and should be less likely to provoke a response from Kismet during her season. Given other issues you have mentioned...Maybe consider a thyroid function screen for Kismet....thyroid can affect mood and temperament.

hth
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by MaryS View Post
Is Selkie spayed? If so no real 'threat' in reproduction terms and should be less likely to provoke a response from Kismet during her season. Given other issues you have mentioned...Maybe consider a thyroid function screen for Kismet....thyroid can affect mood and temperament.

hth
I agree its definitely worth considering other possibilities, but I would just say that when Stumpy was having a season, she did become aggressive to Hoki (who is spayed), so it is still possible for it to be all about her season.

PS well done for making such good progress, even without seasons/other possible medical issues, there are bound to be a few backward steps on the way foward.