Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jojosmom
New Member!
Female 

20-08-2006, 06:30 PM

Need a good training school/Kent area

Hello, my name is Jasmine and my dogs name is Jojo, he is a retriever/lab mix, is a year old and is bonkers, he pulls me all the time and wont listen to me, I want to send him to a good training school to get him trained but im trying to find some recomendations.

Some of the ones i found on the internet are acorn, royvon....I looked at some of the trainers on the adt site but i would prefer to get some references from people that have used certain trainers before, travelling is not a problem.

thankyou.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2006, 06:54 PM
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2006, 06:57 PM
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2006, 07:49 PM
Hi Jasmine welcome to Dogsey.We have a number of members in Kent who may be able to recommend a trainer ,have you looked here?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2006, 10:17 PM
Hallo, please don't send your dog to be trained - and there is one very "popular" training school which has physically damaged dogs although I can't say which one on a public forum.

I'd suggest a good training school that you can both attend together, after all really it's the owner who is usually trained to then train the dog - the owner needs to learn dog training skills

Take a peek at the link Minihaha has given...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg
Hallo, please don't send your dog to be trained - and there is one very "popular" training school which has physically damaged dogs although I can't say which one on a public forum.

I'd suggest a good training school that you can both attend together, after all really it's the owner who is usually trained to then train the dog - the owner needs to learn dog training skills

Take a peek at the link Minihaha has given...
Thank you Wysywig I actually misread Jasmines post and thought she was looking for a training class to attend

Jasmine you are the one who has to live with and control your dog, so it is important that you learn to train him yourself so that he learns to obey you . If you find a trainer on the list and contact them I am sure they will be happy to allow you to go along to meet them and watch a class before joining.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 06:08 AM
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2006, 08:14 AM
Hi there!

I live in Kent and attend a good training class in the beautiful village of Elham. If you would like me to put you in touch with the trainer i can pm you her email address. Classes are on Tuesday evenings and we start back on 5th September (no class during August). They are not as expensive as others nearby and everyone is very friendly, loves dogs and enjoys being there. We all have a good laugh together and both me, my OH and both my dogs thoroughly enjoy going.

Also welcome to Dogsey!
Ray
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-08-2006, 10:47 PM
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Hello and welcome

As others have already said, please visit a few trainers (without your dog) before signing up.
How does the trainer deal with the people? how do they deal with the dogs?
Are people happy and smiling, or do they look and act frustrated? How are the dogs responding?
Talk to the owners and see how they are progressing, and whether they look forward to classes.

It is much easier to walk away from a class that isnt up to your ideal, if you havent committed, by taking your dog or giving away your money! If a trainer does not welcome you to observe a class, find one who will!

A good trainer will guide/train the owner to train their own dog - after all its you that has to live with it.

Sending a dog away to be trained is seldom the answer to be frank, as most dogs will revert to former behaviours and expected behaviours (and by that I mean they will have learned how they previously pushed your buttons)!
It is FAR better for you and for your dog to put in the time and effort together, as it builds your relationship and strenthens the bond between you - the dog will be far more willing to please....so you both win

Which part of Kent are you in - I only ask because it is a big county, and you might (for instance) find a good trainer just over the border into east sussex, not pushing myself forward, but I do have colleagues who run an excellent class in Crowborough ..., which might be more convenient than driving from one end of Kent to the other

I wish you the very best of luck and hope someone can come up with a good class for you and your dog.

thandi
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >