Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Jogging with dogs

Can anyone recommend a good waist belt for jogging with one (or two) dogs? Ideally something with a pouch for poo bags/keys/phone etc would be good to avoid me having to take a separate waist bag.

I've seen this one but the reviews aren't great, and it seems it might only be good for one dog.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...walking/184327

My dogs are two whippets, each about 17kg.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 10:10 AM
I couldn't find many with pockets so got the bits to make my own. Haven't been able to run recently due to injuries so not got around to it, but it might be worth contacting a custom collar/harness/lead maker to see if they could whip up something to suit your needs, I don't think many of the belts have pockets on them.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Cani-cross people use the waist belts, try googling, I am sure something will come up.
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2012, 11:02 AM
I've found a few, but I was wondering if anyone had any particular experience when jogging with two dogs. Most of the things I've found seem to focus on just one dog; I'm starting to think this might mean I'm slightly nuts for wanting to do it with two!

http://www.kisi.co.uk/index.php?page...emart&Itemid=1

http://www.snowpawstore.com/canicros...nd-holder.html

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/running-c...ging-lead.html
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2012, 11:04 AM
krlyr, Did you find a waist best lead arrangement was better than other configurations?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Mine will be for jogging with two dogs so I'll let you know!
Your last link looks similar to a Halti double ended training lead, this is what I've been using, I use 3 leads set up in my homemade little system to allow for clipping to their harnesses and their headcollars (more slack on the headcollar bit so there's no jerking, they're just there if I need to - like if I jog past a cat!). Tried various ways but this was the way I had it just before I stopped, which seemed to work well

One lead per dog around my waist, to clip to the headcollar, and the third lead threaded through the o-rings on the other leads to go behind my bum and then each end clipped to the dog's harness. Results in a shorter length, allowing slack on the headcollars, and also had the benefit that it uses each dog's size/strength against each other - instead of pulling me, they pull each other and they're far more evenly matched so they didn't bother steaming ahead.

No pockets though, and I found the leads would move and rise up to my waist after a while which wasn't very comfy, hence ordering the bits to make a belt (though I'll use some of the principles of the leads in my belt design). One thing I can going to do is add removable leg straps like some of the Cani-X belts have, I don't know how well the wider design will stay put but as I have quite wide hips and a small waist, I think I might need the leg straps to stop it rising up.

Edit: crossposted, think I answered your question in a way! I haven't tried anything else other than using the leads because I can't let the dogs off-lead in the areas we run anyway. I do think an actual belt may be more comfortable simply because it'll stay in place a bit better, it's annoying to have the leads moving around and uncomfortable to have the pressure put on my lower back rather than spread across the bum/hip area.
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Wow, that sounds like a very clever system!

I have a double ended training lead very similar to yours that I used over my shoulder this morning, but it's doesn't fit very well around my waist. I was thinking that something with a bit of bungee in it might help a bit.

The leg strap thing is interesting; in my Googling I found a "comfort" belt, which was essentially a pair of mesh pants with attachment bits! Good idea to stop it riding up but it did look hilarious.

This morning I had Billy on the over-shoulder training lead clipped to his headcollar (he is a puller), and Sneaks on a normal rope lead around my wrist/hand, attached to his harness. It was rather cumbersome so I definitely think something around the waist would be worth trying. I also wore a bumbag with phone/keys/poo bags/ water bottle etc. It's a BIG bag and kept bouncing all over the place; I had to keep one hand on that the whole time which was really very awkward! So something with at least a little pocket would be handy.

Keep me updated on the development of your system; it's very impressive!
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2012, 11:29 AM
It was convenient that the clips are just the right position for fitting around my waist! Yeah, I'm not sure the leg straps are that fetching a look Hence my plan to make them removable! Can then take them off if I'm going somewhere where people might actually see me!
I tend to just take the spare front door key, which is just on an o-ring I clip onto one of the lead clips (around my waist, not the dog's end) and some poo bags in my pocket, but it would be handy to have my phone for emergencies. I don't tend to bother with a water bottle - there are usually puddles the dogs can drink from but I only go out for 30 mins (doing C25K) and only when the weather is cooler, and I feel comfortable without drinking so I don't feel like the dogs necessarily need a drink. They certainly don't seem overly desperate to get to the puddles to drink. I run in a field just behind the house so only a 5 minute walk anyway, I might feel the need for more pockets/equipment if I went any further.
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm also planning on starting the C25K
I get reeeeally thirsty when I run so ideally would like to carry a very small water bottle. I have one of those with a hole in that I could carry if I had the dogs hands free! They are fine without water, certainly at the speed/duration I currently run
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2012, 12:25 PM
Here you go; fetching pant things!

http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/running-c...fort-belt.html
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >