View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2009, 08:02 PM

how can i stop my dog dragging her bedding outside?

hi can anyone help? i leave the back door open when we are in so my dogs can freely come in and outside as my oldest dog has got a weak bladder its easier for her rather than her getting stressed if she cant go out quickly, but my youngest dog is obssesed of having all her bedding outside. she has toys and chews and my house isnt hot - i like to be colder than hot.
my other dog cries and cries when her bed isnt in side! its an absolute nightmare i tell her no but she still does it!

can anyone help please!
thanks x
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your post. Do both your dogs share a bed/bedding? Or does your younger dog take the other dog's bed outside also?

Are either of your dogs crate trained? It may be worth thinking about if not and this way, their bedding can stay in their crates. Alternatively, you could train each one to only go into their own crate, therefore only sleeping on their own bed. This way, your younger dog won't be taking your older dog's bed outside.
Crate training is relatively simple and can be done for an older dog in exactly the same way as for a younger dog.

I had a similar problem with Zane last year in the summer. he would drag his bed outside to sleep at night. It was too hot for him in the house as the house is made of metal. So even if it's a little bit sunny it's absolutely baking hot inside (great in the winter).

Have you thought about having "outside" beds and "inside" beds. It's possible to get bedding that is waterproof so if it gets dragged out in the rain or gets dirty it's far easier to clean than other types. This way your older dog at least gets to keep her bed indoors.

However this wouldn't solve the problem as such. I think you probably need to go back to basics with your youngest dog and start again as though she's never had any training. Think back to how you trained her NOT to do something before. If whatever methods you used before worked, then you could try using the same methods (as she'd be used to them by now). I think it would mean almost watching her all the time you're in the house with her.

Alternatively, you could just remove all the bedding during the daytime. Put it down at night time only for when it's bedtime (as in "big sleep").

Laura xx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 08:58 PM
as a first port of call, I would try to just ignore it for a couple of days, you may find when there is no reaction to what shes doing she will get bored of it,

give the older dog some bedding at night when the door is closed and your heading to bed,

if it works great, if not, its back to the drawing board,
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-10-2009, 09:39 PM
hi thanks for your replys, my youngest dog is great and responds to everything brilliantly she can be a little bit mishchievous but shes only just 1. they have their own shed out side with bedding in it too and she drags this out a well! lol

i did start off with separate beds but she always slept with my older dog and the other bed wasnt used so now they have a crate between them she never messes in the house either. ive tried taking the bedding away but my oldest dog cries like a baby and gets a bit stressed untill i put it back.

its really weird ive just watched her do it now for the first time - she dragged her bedding out of the shed then come in and dragged the house bedding out too - now the older dog is running up and down crying - these are what my nights are like latley. i exercise them both for atleast 3hours a day mostly running or on my bike, so i know shes not bored they have loads toys (i even bought one of those dog games!)

i know this will sound stupid but could she be doing it to wind my older dog up? or is that me looking at her like a human?
or maybe like you say she s doing it to get a response out of me coz everytime she does it i do get up and bring it back in!! think that might be the reason!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Hannaho View Post
hi thanks for your replys, my youngest dog is great and responds to everything brilliantly she can be a little bit mishchievous but shes only just 1. they have their own shed out side with bedding in it too and she drags this out a well! lol

i did start off with separate beds but she always slept with my older dog and the other bed wasnt used so now they have a crate between them she never messes in the house either. ive tried taking the bedding away but my oldest dog cries like a baby and gets a bit stressed untill i put it back.

its really weird ive just watched her do it now for the first time - she dragged her bedding out of the shed then come in and dragged the house bedding out too - now the older dog is running up and down crying - these are what my nights are like latley. i exercise them both for atleast 3hours a day mostly running or on my bike, so i know shes not bored they have loads toys (i even bought one of those dog games!)

i know this will sound stupid but could she be doing it to wind my older dog up? or is that me looking at her like a human?
or maybe like you say she s doing it to get a response out of me coz everytime she does it i do get up and bring it back in!! think that might be the reason!
lol thats what I would put money on, she loves the response she gets from you, but if you ignore her for a bit, you will soon find out, rule out the simple stuff first, most of these things are really simple, eg, mum moves, yeeha what fun sort of thing, if she does it and you ignore her, you may find she becomes more desprate in her actions for a short time, she may well give it up at this point, or go to more extream messures, if she does do this, then there is a problem,
give her a day or two of ignoring her, then take it from there
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-10-2009, 05:14 PM
thanks shona, after you said it - it sounded so simple lol - i felt so stupid!! hehe

anyway she hasnt even done it yet lol - typical , i keep looking out the window upstairs but the bedding still in the box !! wayhey!!!

thanks hun xxx
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Hannaho View Post
thanks shona, after you said it - it sounded so simple lol - i felt so stupid!! hehe

anyway she hasnt even done it yet lol - typical , i keep looking out the window upstairs but the bedding still in the box !! wayhey!!!

thanks hun xxx
awe hun dont feel silly, your not, its often so much easier for someone on the outside looking in to see things,

I also have years of training dogs and running training clubs on my side, its a problem I have seen before
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2009, 07:21 PM
Ha-ha! We had a problem with Bongo humping then killing her bed. Quite aside from it being very unladylike, we couldn't give her a nice comfy bed, because she'd trash it. On one occasion I felt so bad looking at her lying on old chewed-up vet bed, I bought her a doughnut-type bed. She was so happy in it for about a week, then I came home to find her lying on the floor, wagging her tail and wafting great billows of stuffing across the floor. She spent the next few months on her ratty old vet bed, until I came up with the following solution, which might work for you too:

Take one Perla, hard plastic dog bed. Add the Kudos* cushion that fits... But, sew strong fabric tapes firmly to the bottom of the cushion. Feed the tapes through the slots in the bottom of the bed, and tie into neat bows, thus attaching the cushion to the bed at critical points around its edge. It's easy to undo it all for cleaning etc...

Now have a laugh watching your dog try to work out how to shift the whole bed out into the garden. Bongo still occasionally tries to get the cushion out to hump it, but at least when she's completely exhausted from her exertions, she's in the right place to flop down for a sleep
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Hi,

This is just a thought and I could be way off the mark here - but if ignoring her doesn't work, could you try mentally stuimulating her more during the day?

It's fantastic that you exercise then for 3 hours a day but just going out for a run and beagling doesn't make her brain work.

Do you do any scent work with her? It's really simple and your could o it at home using a few plastic pots and tasty treats to begin with.

There are loads of doggy "mental" games that can be played and I think maybe if she's worn out mentally as well as physically, she'll be less inclined to being trying to get your attention all the time by dragging the beds outside.

Laura xx