Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2007, 08:37 PM

how old is too old?

for those of you that have experience in showing - how old is too old to start a dog in show?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2007, 08:42 PM
I think it varies on every dog, i'd enter a dog at any ages if I thought she was a good standard and knew what she was doing!
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-02-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't feel there is an actual fixed point at which it becomes too late. The thing is though, a naughty youngster can get away with it because he's 'only a baby'.

By the time they are two or three years old (talking about Irish Setters here)they have generally learned how to behave in the showring because of experience. So an inexperienced or untrained older dog will be penalised if the judge can't go over him or he won't move steadily, or he won't stack well.

So with training and lots of practice you should be OK, but there's no time like the present, so give it a try.

Dawn R.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2007, 09:15 PM
thanks guys.
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2007, 09:31 PM
This is a very difficult one as it really does depend on the dog and mainly too the breed as some breeds can be shown to a ripe old age others like some terrier breeds usually have a very short show life, its not an easy game at all,