Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Friend's Goldie puppy has biting frenzies

I am sure that this has been dealt with many times before, but here goes anyway.

Friend has had Goldies all her life, both males and females and is sensible and intelligent. She chose this little chap with great care, and when he first went home a couple of weeks ago he was an absolute star..........within a few days he was clean at night, (or at least, he asked to go out in the early hours) and quickly learnt a few early basic commands. Friend took everything very slowly with him, being careful to gradually introduce new experiences etc.

Suddenly he has morphed into the teenager from hell, even though he is still too young to be deemed a teenager!! He totally ignores her 99% of the time being hell bent on pursuing whatever is vitally important to him at the time, but the biggest problem is the biting. He will latch on to any part of the anatomy that he can reach, and her solution of plonking him in his basket and leaving the room just results in a bigger and better attack on her return.

She provides him with chews and toys for his teeth, but he is obsessed with nipping and biting people.

I am wondering what solutions people on here have found to be effective (no e collars or the like please!). Could a change of food be in order as well.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I'd certainly check what the pup is being given food wise, yes, always a good move (check treats, also - avoid sugars, colourings, etc).

I suspect he is "normal" but very exciteable. Check he is not being accidentally rewarded by them, sounds as if he's not though.

This may be useful:
http://www.apdt.co.uk/documents/Playbiting.pdf

IMe the worst time is around 12-20 weeks. Got a dog with super bite inhibition afterwards, though

Wys
x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Yeaah, Wysiwyg, is right, they go through these stages where they ignore you...I've just got over most of that stage.

Try using frozen butter rubbed on your skin and get the dog used to licking skin instead of biting. Try not to do this too many times a day/week because then you could cause an alternative problem where all the dog does is lick the humans skin - whichever human that may be.

Another method some members use is that whenever the dog bites them, they say "No" in a firm voice and play a chew or toy in the dogs mouth.

It sounds with the "attack" that he isnt getting enough stimulation - try hiding treats around the house for him to sniff out and find, or hiding them in the garden or in a treat ball.

Another dog, a calm but playful (not overly) introduced to the pup may help with teh bite inhibition. Sadie plays with Louie and ever since he was a pup we've had like 3 nips off him because he's learnt skin = lick and fur = bite - obviously we had Sadie who tells any pup when they've gone too far - which is a great way to teach pups. However dont let either dog over do it in the playing department, this could damage his joints if too much rough play is allowed

Tell your friend good luck with her puppy, he'll make an excellent dog one day
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Could she channel this? And use his retrieve instinct by focussing him on to toys? She could encourage him to fetch and retrieve and hold with games. It wouldn`t encourage a soft mouth - but it could save her fingers.
Retrievers have been bred to use their mouths and can get very frustrated if their instincts are blocked. I have a neurotic GSP who has obviously been stopped from picking things up and he gets very stressed. Most dogs of his type would carry something round like a dummy and get great pleasure from it.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I'd certainly check what the pup is being given food wise, yes, always a good move (check treats, also - avoid sugars, colourings, etc).

I suspect he is "normal" but very exciteable. Check he is not being accidentally rewarded by them, sounds as if he's not though.

This may be useful:
http://www.apdt.co.uk/documents/Playbiting.pdf

IMe the worst time is around 12-20 weeks. Got a dog with super bite inhibition afterwards, though

Wys
x
Thank you so much for the link.......will pass it on to her.

Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Yeaah, Wysiwyg, is right, they go through these stages where they ignore you...I've just got over most of that stage.

Try using frozen butter rubbed on your skin and get the dog used to licking skin instead of biting. Try not to do this too many times a day/week because then you could cause an alternative problem where all the dog does is lick the humans skin - whichever human that may be.

Another method some members use is that whenever the dog bites them, they say "No" in a firm voice and play a chew or toy in the dogs mouth.

It sounds with the "attack" that he isnt getting enough stimulation - try hiding treats around the house for him to sniff out and find, or hiding them in the garden or in a treat ball.

Another dog, a calm but playful (not overly) introduced to the pup may help with teh bite inhibition. Sadie plays with Louie and ever since he was a pup we've had like 3 nips off him because he's learnt skin = lick and fur = bite - obviously we had Sadie who tells any pup when they've gone too far - which is a great way to teach pups. However dont let either dog over do it in the playing department, this could damage his joints if too much rough play is allowed

Tell your friend good luck with her puppy, he'll make an excellent dog one day
Thank you for all that - again, I will pass it on. She adores this puppy and is currently laughing at herself for bragging about what a good biddable little chap he was when he first came home!! As far as I can see, she has done everything right but now has her hands full of mischief! The biting IS the main issue here, as she has a six year old grand daughter (who is never left alone with the pup, and who has to sit on her hands with her feet tucked out of sight whenever they are in the same room!), and maybe your tips will help.

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Could she channel this? And use his retrieve instinct by focussing him on to toys? She could encourage him to fetch and retrieve and hold with games. It wouldn`t encourage a soft mouth - but it could save her fingers.
Retrievers have been bred to use their mouths and can get very frustrated if their instincts are blocked. I have a neurotic GSP who has obviously been stopped from picking things up and he gets very stressed. Most dogs of his type would carry something round like a dummy and get great pleasure from it.

I think that she is already doing this..........in between reinforcing the fencing between her garden and the woods where VERRRRRRRRRRRY interesting creatures live. I will pass on your comments though because it all helps