Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 03:16 PM

Dogs in Greece

On another site (danish) we have a discussion about the dogs in Greece and the work there is to bring them to DK.

Theres a lot of aspekts in this I think:
Does it help to move them to another country?
Will it solve the problem in Greece?
How many dogs gets "happy" lives in another country and how many has to been put to sleep because of this?

I personally think it would be better to help the dogs IN Greece and try to change peoples opinion about them there.

What do you think?
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 03:22 PM
Hi amts

Does it help to move them to another country?
Will it solve the problem in Greece?
How many dogs gets "happy" lives in another country and how many has to been put to sleep because of this?

I personally think it would be better to help the dogs IN Greece and try to change peoples opinion about them there.
will try to answer as I can but these are only MY opinion

Does it help to move to another country-
well it certainly helps that particular dog if its rehomed and loved

will it solve the problem in Greece-
no because the attitudes of both owners and the Greek government needs to change to resolve the stray situation. If other countries and owners help out its merely that- helping but not resolving

One of the issues is that some people think it is wrong to help the strays in other countries as the problem is big enough in the UK and because of the lack of both resources and owners some people tend to think we should help our own. For example Ireland has a big rehoming issue and many people think it wrong to rehome an Irish dog when a UK dog is pts.

I believe in helping where we can but at the end of the day we cant help them all sad but true

Peoples attitude to dogs need to change and responsibility and neutering should be encouraged in any country.
Just my opinion

But if we can help out - wherever that may be it should be encouraged
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 03:24 PM
I don't think moving them would really help the situation.

I'm not sure what their attitudes towards dogs is in Greece so can't comment on that bit
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 03:34 PM
Lel: As hard as it must be for the dogs in Greece I think it would be better to try to change the goverments and the general publicīs opinion?

I know that this topic is an emotionel one for all of us dogs lovers, but I personally think where, instead of doing the dogs a faouver (<-??), we are just are moving the problem.
And most countries have enough problems in that area anyway.

I donīt think that helping one or two dogs (or 100) will make a difference. The work done "on the street" rarely helps on a long term basic if the laws and peoples opinion doesnīt follow.

But on the danish site almost 100 people have responded and it seems that most of them finds it heartless not to help...
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 03:38 PM
Lel: As hard as it must be for the dogs in Greece I think it would be better to try to change the goverments and the general publicīs opinion?
amts- thats what I said

will it solve the problem in Greece-
no because the attitudes of both owners and the Greek government needs to change to resolve the stray situation
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 03:41 PM
Giving a dog a safe home wont solve the problem
but I think any life saved from anywhere is worth it
The problem of stray and unwanted dogs from every country needs to be solved ,I think neutering is the the best option whenever possible

quote :

I totally agree there

My dog Benji was rescued from Egypt and he is happy and healthy now
the woman working over there trying to save dogs from being poisoned and even beaten to death ,she has hardly touched the problem and she hasnt got the money to get a vet from many miles away to come and neuter all the dogs ,but its a start and she has already mannaged to save many dogs and hopefully one day all her hard work and will pay off
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 03:43 PM
even one life saved has to be of benefit
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 03:45 PM
Lel: need to learn to read better
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 04:57 PM
The situation in Greece is terrible. I've lived there and still go for summers, and I can honestly say it's heartwrenching.

But the governmet is trying to solve its problems, and even though its not really working I think that they will get there in the end. I will hopefully go to Greece to work when I grow up, as I think that every little bit helps.

But I have to say, every dog taken from Greece is a life saved. So then IMO its gotta be a good thing.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2004, 07:15 PM
Wouldnt it be money better spent, if they were used to spay and castrate the dogs???

And then take it from there???? And help the Greek government?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >