Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 09:06 PM

For people who use Clicker training:

I've been reading up about Clicker training and I really like the idea of this method.

Before I go ahead and buy one, just wanted to ask: is any Clicker OK, or do some of you recommend one in particular...?

The one I'm looking at ordering online is described as:

'Multi - Clicker: Dog Clicker Training aid with a volume and tone control for noise sensitive dogs.'

Just wondered if anyone recommends a particular Clicker?

Many thanks for any responses.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 09:11 PM
No particular clicker recommended - though it is true some dogs (not many) don't like the sound hence the 'quiet' models.

On a practical level I like the button clickers where the button is raised above the surface - it means if you are doing anything awkward where you need both hands you can use it underfoot or squash against wrist/elbow to click it.

Bookwise, if you wanted something easy to read and follow which is also easy to find, then Clicker Training For Dogs by Karen Pryor is excellent for starting out.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post

Bookwise, if you wanted something easy to read and follow which is also easy to find, then Clicker Training For Dogs by Karen Pryor is excellent for starting out.

Thanks so much

The Karen Pryor book is the one I am reading at the moment!

Am really enjoying learning about this method and it certainly seems a more intelligent way of training dogs than a lot of the other ideas I've come across.

Thanks also for the advice re the raised button on the clicker, very helpful
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I've been reading up about Clicker training and I really like the idea of this method.

Before I go ahead and buy one, just wanted to ask: is any Clicker OK, or do some of you recommend one in particular...?

The one I'm looking at ordering online is described as:

'Multi - Clicker: Dog Clicker Training aid with a volume and tone control for noise sensitive dogs.'

Just wondered if anyone recommends a particular Clicker?

Many thanks for any responses.
I have the multi-click one, I don't think that there is a huge variation in volume but that's never been a problem for any of my dogs - they all lurve the sound of the click! Only criticism is that the elastic on the wrist loop has decayed, but I have had it a while.

Also have some i-click clickers and one of them gets stuck down which is annoying for me and confusing for the dogs so I can't use it anymore.

So I wouldn't worry about which one to get, just buy a few cheap ones, because if you're anything like me you'll keep misplacing them!

J.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Yup agree it dosent matter so long as your dog dosent mind the noise and it is different from noises heard in day to day life

I prefer the button ones too - not just cos you can stand on them but also my nails are too long and I just cant work the other ones
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks guys - much appreciated
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Same for me although, no particular clicker and multiclick works well but on a walk the other day and a guy behind us had a plastic cup in his hand that he was squeezing , to Bella I think it sounded like the clicker, he was wondering why she kept turning her head to look at him lol
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-02-2011, 09:18 AM
im using the clicker training at the moment for my 6 month old bullmastiff cross rotty and it's amazing how it works and how he responds to it, i'd defo say do it, i got the clicker training kit from P@H think it was £13 but you get a guide clicker, treat bag which clips onto a belt, bag of treats and a target stick, but you can just buy the clicker for a few pounds. my puppy pulled he doesnt as much now, recall was a no no now he come's when i call him, i can get him to lie down stay for treats etc.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 09:28 AM
I like the i-click for indoors and quiet areas. It's not as loud or harsh a noise as the others I've tried. And I can't trap my finger in it the way I have the others Rupert couldn't care less which one I use to be honest, they all sound slightly different but he knows it's still a click and still means the same.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 09:32 AM
I like the I-Click too, but I have a few Bug Clickers (yes, they're in the shape of bugs, but small, and shaped to stick between your fingers, so your hand is free to give treats, etc... But I use the I-Click most the time, the bug clickers are in various places, incase I forget my I-Click somewhere. I need to get a target stick though... I'm just going to get a peice of doweling and make one.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >