Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Barney Dog
New Member!
Female 

30-03-2011, 05:08 PM

Dog being sick for too long.......

Hi - A bit of history first, my 9 year old lab has Colitus (although no flare ups for a good few years). He has arthritus and has just had a course of 4 injections (1 a week for 4 weeks), he also has Meloyodyl in the mornings with his 6am feed and 2 Yumove tablets in the evening with his 6pm feed to help his arthritus.

He has been on Meloyidyl for about a year, but only been taking Yumove since his course of injections ended on 10th February.

He was sick for about 3 days at the end of February. He then started having diahorria at the beginning of March lasting 10 days and was being sick a couple of times as well.

I have starved him and am also in the middle of changing his food (due to the Colitus, he was put on Chappie as a pup and been fine with it but was wondering if after 9 years he needed to have a change). Once I started the transition of changing his food, the diahorria has stopped but the sick has continued, he was sick again yesterday and again today.

He seems ok in himself - when he is sick, he brings up his food - this was the same when he was on Chappie

Please help, any suggestions
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 05:10 PM
are u still giving the meloxicam?
Barney Dog
New Member!
Female 

30-03-2011, 05:11 PM
yes, he has it in the mornings with his first feed
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 05:13 PM
u have to stop it immediately and let your vet know.
Barney Dog
New Member!
Female 

30-03-2011, 05:17 PM
can i ask why, as he has been taking Meloxidyl for over a year and had no problems - to be honest, i thought it would be more likely to be the Yumove as he started being ill just after he began taking thme (but that is 100% natural)
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Barney Dog View Post
can i ask why, as he has been taking Meloxidyl for over a year and had no problems - to be honest, i thought it would be more likely to be the Yumove as he started being ill just after he began taking thme (but that is 100% natural)
nsaid's can effect the liver/kidneys bloods should be checked every 3-6 months to monitor renal function.
vomiting and dire rear can be(and is a known) adverse reaction to the drug(even if not u should always stop it if this happens)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 06:25 PM
I concur, this is not normal.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Agree also wont be absorbing much into his system if he's sick and diahorrea, you need to go back to the vets.