Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Selling A Gift - Dilemma

Found out today my car needs serious work doing to it and very quickly before it goes bang (I knew this anyway but buried my head in the sand for many months!)

It will cost around £500. It's not a huge sum but since I live my life in negative figures I just cant raise that money in the time I need to do it.

Anyway, I have a pretty expensive bike which my ex bought me when we were together. I dont use it, I dont enjoy cycling as a rule and if I sold it I could raise most, if not all, of the money I need.

My Mum says I should speak to him about it before I sell it. The way I see it is, it's my bike, I own it so i'm entitled to do with it what I choose, even if it was a gift. I dont see my ex and we rarely have contact so he probably wouldnt ever get to know. I also have a necklace I could cash in too - another gift from him!

My question is what do you guys think? Should I just sell it regardless or do the polite thing and speak to him first?
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Both the bike and the necklace are yours to do with as you want and I would definitely sell to fund car repairs.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Personally, I would sell it. I've never sold a gift but I will admit to having given gifts to charity shops before. I see what your mum is saying but realistically, when you think about the presents you have had from friends when you were say 12 years old, do you still have them all? Is this any different because it is more expensive or because you plan to sell it rather than bin or charity shop it?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:22 PM
He bought them for you so you can do whatever you want with them; they are your things. You are not together so it is not like there would be any hard feelings between the pair of you.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:23 PM
I think it's the price which concerns my Mum. My bike was £800 so she thinks I should sound it out with him before just selling it. Mind you, My Mum is a bit that way, if she buys a gift for somebody - Xmas pressies for the grandkids etc - then she thinks her permission should be sought before they get rid of anything.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:25 PM
You could always offer to sell it back to him
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:31 PM
It's a no brainer to me, sell them. They are yours and you are not his anymore.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:32 PM
Is he's your ex, how will he even know??
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I think it's the price which concerns my Mum. My bike was £800 so she thinks I should sound it out with him before just selling it. Mind you, My Mum is a bit that way, if she buys a gift for somebody - Xmas pressies for the grandkids etc - then she thinks her permission should be sought before they get rid of anything.
I'd do it anyway. It is yours, regardless of how much whoever gave it to you paid for it!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Sell it---its yours.

rune
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >