Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Problems with bitches speyed mid-season - advice needed

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone has encountered this before?

Indy was speyed part way through her first season. She had a 'split' season, meaning that she came into season then within a week went back into a second full season. I had a scan done and it showed that her womb was to high up under her ribs and starting to twist. The vet was worried about infection and possible pyometra (sp) developing, plus further twisting during the cycle so acting on advise we took her in and had her speyed there and then, she was really quite ill at the time and dropped about 4kg - given that she only weighs 11kg normally thats alot - she was like a skeleton.

The big problem we were warned about was incontinence and though she had a few accidents after surgery its not been a long term problem. Every six months though - Febuary and August - her mood drops dramatically, she becomes very clingy to me (and she is not typically a cuddly dog at all), she gets very grumpy with other dogs including our own. She only lets Felix near her (though she is starting to let Oliver in - he was washing her ears and face earlier), and if i'm not available she sticks to him like glue. She even sleeps in my bed all night, when normally she won't even jump up on the bed prefering to sleep ontop of the bedroom crate. She also becomes very timid and wary, ducking at loud noises and even acting hand shy around people other than me, including my Mum who she adores.

Is it possible for speyed bitches to still get the hormones associated with seasons? The six month cycle falls in with when her seasons would have been had she been entire with regular six month cycles.

Is there anything I can do or give her to make these periods happier for her?

When she's like this we keep her at home around the house, we don't take her to training or to competitions due to her being hyper sensitive. Don't get me wrong i'm not at all bothered about missing training I just feel bad that she obviously feels so bad. She's normally such a happy, confident and full of life dog - the difference seems really extreme! All of this lasts for 7-10 days.

Any ideas?

Hazel and a very miserable Indy x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 08:26 PM
Yes, if a minute piece of ovarian tissue is left behind, its enough to produce symptoms of a season and later, a phantom pregnancy. As far as I am aware, there is no "cure" for this. Sorry to hear about Indy, spaying is meant to stop all this. Hope she feels better soon.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Ive heard of vets leaving the ovaries - making a side incision instead of along the tummy. Check with your vet what they did.

Evening primrose oil will help with hormonal problems.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Ive heard of vets leaving the ovaries - making a side incision instead of along the tummy. Check with your vet what they did.

Evening primrose oil will help with hormonal problems.
starflower oil is also good. Yumega has starflower in it. I think you can also get homeopathis remedies for hormonal problems, may be worth giving Dorwest a call?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 05:34 AM
Poor Indy.......

No advice, Hazel, just wanted to send you all some hugs x0x
Eileen Goodman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Just a thought,but having gone through the 'change' myself I do still get mood swings once a month. Just wondered if it's the same with Dogs? Evening Primrose was supposed to help
Good luck
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 11:39 AM
I don`t. (have mood swings).
It certainly sounds like the spay wasn`t complete. I`d have a word with the vet to see if anything can be done.
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Hello,

Thankyou for the replies and all the PM's about this as well.

She has seen a vet twice before during this time who said nothing could be done - but this was the vet who speyed her so do you think they might be 'unwilling' to admit they may have missed a bit?

We've since changed vets so i've phoned and booked her in for Wednesday which was the first available appointment with the younger more 'modern-minded' vet who looks after Felix. I'd rather wait because I know he's willing to listen to what you're saying instead of jumping to conclusions.

In the meantime i'll get some evening primrose oil.

She's really not a happy dog, we've just got back from the park ad she stuck to my leg the whole way round - didn't even have a proper game of chase with the boys .

Lots of TLC this afternoon I think.

Hazel x