Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
iloverotties
New Member!
Female 

03-09-2010, 09:21 PM

Hey can someone help me please!!!?

I really really really need some good advice!! i have a 4 year old rottweiler and he keeps nibbling the bottom of his back right by his tail. at first i thought it was fleas so i treated him with frontline but that hasnt worked. then someone told me that rotties have 'dual coats'? so i tried washing and brushing him. does anone think he has a skin allergy or is this just normal rottie behaviour?! help me pleaseeee!! x
SnowMonkey
New Member!
Female 

04-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Have you change their food lately? Some dogs are pretty sensetive when you change the food and start licking or nibbling them self.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 06:07 AM
It may be anal glands would be worth having them checked
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Could be an allergy, could be mange, anal glands as above, could be cat fleas... I`d get a vet to have a look, personally. If he breaks the skin with his scratching it could leave it open to infection.
iloverotties
New Member!
Female 

04-09-2010, 02:52 PM
No i havent changed his food in a while. does any of you know how much it could cost if he does have anal glands? it couldnt be mange could it if its only in one spot?! x
iloverotties
New Member!
Female 

04-09-2010, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the replies by the way! very much appreciated! x
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2010, 02:55 PM
I have one of my dogs glands done every month at the groomers it only cost £5 and well worth it.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Rotts have a Double-Coat, but that wouldn't make him itchy. All it means is they have an undercoat and a top coat.

I would certainly have the vet look at it, I am sure it will be something simple they can help you with. If he's four and this is the first time it has happened hopefully it will be something easily cured

When Marius started gnawing himself last year after a walk, after much coat-sifting I found some ticks. He gets frontlined now so haven't had the problem since thankfully. It may even be that - but my money is on blocked anal glands, sounds very like that!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 04:12 PM
My money is on anal glands. Ask your vet to check them it will only cost the price of a consultation for him to empty them.