Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClareRT
New Member!
Female 

14-08-2014, 10:11 AM

Ascites

I am hoping to hear from people with any experience of getting ascites drained from their dog.
My boy is in final stages congestive heart failure ( has been since before xmas)
He eats like a horse, engaged in life going on short walks, greeting people, digging for small woodland creatures etc, in fact the only thing making him uncomfortable is the build up of fluid in his abdomen, he looks like a goat bless him.
I asked the vet about draining, he told me that it makes a dog feel wonderful once done but the fluid usually comes back about a week later, and to drain he would need sedation and it might stress him.
When speaking to my dogs carer, she told me years ago her dog had the same thing and she had the ascites drained and it was a couple of months before it all came back.
I am desperate to hear of any ther experiences before making a decision. I just want my boy comfy. He doesnt get too stressed at the vets, is usually calm and ok.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2014, 08:59 PM
I have no experience of the condition you mention but I just wanted to wish you well in finding a way to make your boy more comfortable. Hugs to you both xx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Same as above,sorry I can't offer any advice Bless him,fingers crossed you can find an answer and all goes well(( hugs))