View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 12:15 AM

Are things more difficult with bigger or multiple dogs?

Just something I was thinking about...

Can you do things with one/smaller dogs than having either a bigger dog or more than one?

I shall explain what I mean...

At the moment I can take Alfie into the bank, chemist, building society, on buses etc... if you have either a larger dog, or more than one, do you find this to be more of an issue?

I have taken a friends lab into the chemist before I had Alfie, and that was fine, but was curious as to whether taking Alfie AND something like a GSD would cause problems?

I still want a GSD... was just wondering
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-10-2011, 12:44 AM
See i would not dream of even trying with Oz .
People will treat you very diffrently with a Gsd in my opinion...
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 12:52 AM
Yeah that is what I am thinking!
Is it the same with a Boxer?

Just wondering if people are more fussy about larger dogs, or if they allow dogs, if that is standard?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Only dogs allowed in such places where I live are guide dogs - no matter the size
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-10-2011, 01:03 AM
Expect people to see you in a different light with a bigger dog..
Having a big and small just confuses them ..lol
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 01:17 AM
Apparently having a big and a small dog makes the big dog less scary... or so I have heard

velvetboxers - I never knew I was allowed to take the dog in anywhere round here until I saw a dog in the bank (standard poodle actually), my friend worked in the chemist and told me, and I phoned the building society and they said well behaved dogs are allowed in lol
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 01:45 AM
Some places don't mind if the dog is small enough to pick up. Less risk of the dog cocking its leg on stuff.
kita
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Hmm,

GSD - everyone ran from them, most people scared of them and found it difficult to take them anywhere.

Anatolian Shepherd (Karabash, Kangal) - size of a Great Dane. Everyone loved him and could take him anywhere!!!!

Don't think it is so much to do with size - more 'reputation'/perception of the breed. Very few people knew what my Anatolian was, most people think giant dog = soft dog. Whereas people seemed to have an inbuilt fear of the black/tan GSD - even though they were much less of a threat!!!

Toddlers were allowed to run up to my Anatolian and throw their arms round his neck - yet parents would drag their children across the road when they saw me with my GSD coming.

If only they knew - my Anatolian was far more lethal than my GSD - especially if he went into 'guarding' mode.

Sadly GSD and Rotties seem to have an unfair reputation and you find they are not welcome in many places. There is an awful lot of prejudice around the two breeds.

Sue
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 02:27 AM
Thanks, that's a fab post!

That is something that does concern me, but I will also have this scruff bag with me who is the opposite of scary

Maybe when I get a GSD it may be easier not even trying to take them into places... then again, I do find it easier that I can just nip into the bank/chemist on the way back from a walk...
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2011, 04:25 AM
I take my two greyhounds into the bank with me reguarly and most people seem to love it as do the bank staff.
I am sure ClaireandDaisy on here takes her dogs on public transport and they include GSD.
I think a lot is to do with how your dog behaves, especially in banks or shops. A little dog you can pick up under your arm if it tries to jump up people or it gets excitable, a big dog you can't and it could cause chaos and scare people if it cannot stand quietly.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »