Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-12-2005, 10:45 AM

Dogs still remembering their doggy family

Is it possible for a dog to recognise its parents, siblings etc?
The other day we took Florrie down to Hampshire for the day to her breeder's farm to take down the christmas cards and to show off how big the wee madam had got. Well as we arrived we were greeted by a small gaggle of terriers, 2 westies, 1 dandie dinmont, and a few westie x dandie's. Well florrie hopped out the car and incidentally ran to Poppy, one of the dandies who in actual fact was Florrie's dam. Do you think she remembered? or was it just a 'luck of the draw' thing?
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2005, 12:08 PM
I couldnt tell you if they remember, but it sounds a cute picture.
I got Potter in the June and then the September of the next year I got Molly. They are mother and daughter and had been separated for 2 years. There was no instant recognition, but they are very close.
Blackie's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2005, 12:14 PM
blackie remembers his mum and she remembers him. he also remembers the people that looked after him as a baby. he is going to stay with his doggy mum next week when we go away for a few days
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2005, 01:09 PM
ahhhh how cute, i would like to think so but dont know for certain....
Kerrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Abbie still knows her pup Kizzy and hes 7 months old now
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2005, 06:16 PM
well dogs remember humans so y not other dogs they must have familar smell maybe nice thought they do regardless
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Ziggy definitely still remembers Ruby, his sister. We see her in the park and they fight like only siblings could
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Ziggie and his mum recognised each other after 8 months - and he also recognised his brother after 18 months even though he hadn't seen him since he was 7 weeks old and neither of them are "doggie" dogs but they were all over each other...
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2005, 10:23 PM
Well, Chloe recognises Meg and Riley as her babies i think, but then they never left her so she would

We did sell one of the pups to a neighbour who lives about a five minute walk from us. We do see Barti (the puppy) very occassionally out walking but Chloe's never showed any signs of recognising him at all. But then she didn't even noticed when her babies left for their new homes so maybe she's just a bad mother