Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 12:40 PM

Been treeeeeee shopping this morning

Well, after the bad bit (dentist), I did the nice bit and stopped off at a big garden centre on the way home just to see what they had in the way of pretty trees, and lo and behold they only had a 50% sale on didn't they!!!! I couldn't believe my luck when I clapped eyes on the tallest, prettiest acers I've ever seen in my life, all with 50% off!!! So I bought 3 of them!! They had loads of different bamboo's too, all well over 10 foot high, and ALL reduced from £89/£140 to half price!!! So I bought 7 of those!

I got 3 black bamboo
3 bamboo mix (quite bushy ones)
1 bamboo phyllostachys Nigra - I would have got more of these, they have a wider leaf, but they only had the one and it's enormous!
A beautiful bright orange/red tree called a Acer Palmatum Katsura which wasn't in the sale but I fell in love with it, and it's huuuuge, already over 10 ft. high

Another tree I got was called Gleditsia Triancanthos sunburst, which is pretty much like a golden maple, very slim with fine leaves, and that would normally have been £300, so I got it for £150!!! Such a bargain and sooooo much better than a pair of shoes or a handbag, it won't wear out!!!

Another beautiful tree, bit like a weeping willow, but much slimmer and the leaves finer, again an acer, and again about 12 foot high!

Ooooooooh I'm soooooo excited, can't wait till Friday and my gardener is going to plant them all up for me, and hopefully the turf might even be going down by then, coz the fencing is being done today and he's steaming on with that too!

I've never, ever had a garden make-over, this is a first, but you really wouldn't believe the difference this one is going to be, so I'll post up again when things are taking more shape, and especially when those new trees go in, it will look just gorgeous. I'll be out there all winter in the cold and wet taking it all in!!!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Wow they will be stunning and it's lovely to see you plant trees too,can't wait to see the finished results,xxxxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Thanks Boobah, I'm going to find a picture of that red tree on the net, coz it really is sooooo pretty (just like me then!!!!! NOT!!!)

Just found this, but no blooming picture!!!
Quote "ONE OF THE MOST ATTRACTIVE OF THE JAPANESE
MAPLES, ESPECIALLY IN SPRING, WHEN ITS LEAVES
UNFOLD ORANGE, TURNING GREENISH GOLD IN
SUMMER & BACK TO ORANGE IN AUTUMN. VIGOROUS
GROWER TO 6-8 FEET HIGH IN 10 YEARS. THRIVES
IN WELL-DRAINED, HUMUS-RICH SOIL, IN SUN OR LIGHT
SHADE, SHELTERED FROM DRYING WINDS. Unquote
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Oh, you lucky thing I love Acers and Bamboo, I don't have any Acers, but I have 3 bamboo, one small one (at the moment) that Chris bought me for mothers day, and 2 that were small rooted bits pulled up from a friends garden, the tall one must now be over 10 ft in places, I just love the noise they make when its breezy/windy, your garden is going to look amazing
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 12:53 PM
I have to say my fav is the Acers,they are stunning.Would love a cherry tree as they are lovely in bloom but jeez what a mess they make.We planted around 30 Leylandi during the summer and boy have they sprouted OH planted them next to the fence he built,he plans to keep the height down though,xxxxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Hey Christine, you've given me an idea now saying about the rustling noise, I might change my mind about where I'm going to plant some of them, so we can hear them when sitting on the new patio Thanks! Oooooh I'm so excited, I'm sooooo sad I know, but I love trees and anything earthly (I'm a Virgo, an earth girl!)so that must be why!

Yes Boobah, we did the same 20 years ago down at the front, and BECAUSE, I didn't have them cut down at the top regularly, they're very sparce at the bottom now, which is a shame coz they're very big and bushy half way up and I just had 10 foot lopped off the top to give us our view from upstairs, so keep them topped regularly, even every 3 years would be good!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Here she is in all her glory! Wow! Big Wow!!!!

Course, mine's not quite THAT big - yet!!! In fact it will look quite pathetic compared to this!!!!

Here's a close up of the leaves:

It's going to be exactly like the Japanese maple bush/shrub that I've got with the feathery leaves with all the colour changes it goes through, only much bigger, coz it's a real tree as opposed to a bush.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-09-2007, 05:57 PM
You've got some lovley Acers there Helen and their autumn colours will be cracking! I agree that Bamboos make wonderful noises when wind is blowing through them and need to be appreciated somewhere near seating.

Cant wait to see it finished!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Wow I adore Acers if Idid not feel so rough I'd be there "transplanting" them to my car. seriously they will be gorgeous I am on the lookout for some yellow/golden Acers/tree's
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Thanks Steve, you and me both, and now I've managed to get the gardener all excited about it too when I told him what I'd bought! Of course I had to describe the trees in great detail, waving my arms around and reaching up in the air, looked like some kind of ballet dance, and then I noticed the neighbour staring at me out of the window!!!!!! I'm sure they understand what I'm like though having lived next door now for a couple of years don't you!!!!!

The fence has gone up in only one day and he was all on his own, his little helper had to go to the hospital coz he got in a fight last night!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >