Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 06:44 PM

14 year old Irish Setter, Bertie

I'm currently fostering a lovely old boy called Bertie He came in to the kennels on Monday but I couldn't face leaving him down there so he came home with me that evening. He spends his days in the kennels but his evenings and nights with me.

He's settled in well with my lot but he does show a little bit too much interest in the chickens for my liking. He's very underweight but it's a fight to get him to eat. I'm currently trying a variety and have purchased some tripe today to tickle his taste buds!

Anyway I thought I might get in trouble if I didn't post photo's!

Watching the birds -

Token group shot -

Thank you for looking!

P.S If you know anyone looking for an oldie Setter let me know!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 06:48 PM
What a lovely boy. And what a lucky boy too to have you taking such an interest in him.

Aren't your dogs good! They seem to just accept him with no trouble at all.

How on earth does such a beautiful old dog as this end up in kennels?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Bertie is gorgeous, bless him he is very thin isn't he? I' m sure with your TLC he' ll fatten up in no time, be even better seeing those photos!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Aw Jen Bertie is a lovely old chap, I am sure he will benefit from your care...
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
What a lovely boy. And what a lucky boy too to have you taking such an interest in him.

Aren't your dogs good! They seem to just accept him with no trouble at all.

How on earth does such a beautiful old dog as this end up in kennels?
Thank you T. My boys are all so used to me turning up with a variety of animals they hardly bat an eyelid at a new temporary addition!

He came in as his owners have been abroad for several years and their intention to return this year fell through so the person caring for him has re-homed him with their permission.

Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Bertie is gorgeous, bless him he is very thin isn't he? I' m sure with your TLC he' ll fatten up in no time, be even better seeing those photos!
He's so underweight we had him blood tested but they all came back fine. Tonight he's going to get some nature diet and we'll see if he eats that!

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Aw Jen Bertie is a lovely old chap, I am sure he will benefit from your care...
Thank you Mini, I just can't bare the thought of him being in kennels when I have a perfectly good sofa for him to sleep on!
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Oh my, what a stunning old boy!
He has an absolutely gorgeous face - hopefully it wont be long until someone snaps him up

Who is living in the big cage?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 07:14 PM
You are a REAL animal lover Wyrekin. With your menagerie there and the sporadic additions of waifs and strays!
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Oh my, what a stunning old boy!
He has an absolutely gorgeous face - hopefully it wont be long until someone snaps him up

Who is living in the big cage?
I hope it won't be long, I put him on the website yesterday and have advertised him everywhere I can. He really deserves his own home.

There are a couple of budgies (the oldest being 12 years) and some Bengal finches in the big cage. They free fly in the hallway when I'm home in the evenings .

Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
You are a REAL animal lover Wyrekin. With your menagerie there and the sporadic additions of waifs and strays!
Aww thank you again T I'm just a sucker for a sob story and in the fortunate position of often being able to help! It wasn't 5 minutes after the loss of my hamster I had someone banging on my door to dump their own because he's diabetic...
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 08:20 PM
Bertie is just such a lovely looking old gent. But how terribly sad at his age he is up for re-homing

"He came in as his owners have been abroad for several years and their intention to return this year fell through so the person caring for him has re-homed him with their permission". .... unbelievable

What a wonderful person you are and one helluv an animal lover and so compassionate. Well done to you

I really hope that someone out there is willing to take on such an oldie and that he finds his forever home ...... if he hasn't found it already
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
Bertie is just such a lovely looking old gent. But how terribly sad at his age he is up for re-homing

"He came in as his owners have been abroad for several years and their intention to return this year fell through so the person caring for him has re-homed him with their permission". .... unbelievable

What a wonderful person you are and one helluv an animal lover and so compassionate. Well done to you

I really hope that someone out there is willing to take on such an oldie and that he finds his forever home ...... if he hasn't found it already
Thank you Jenny I've known even older dogs get re-homed successfully so I'm holding on to hope for him, of course being a recognisable breed helps

I'd love to keep him but my lifestyle is not suitable for him really even though it would save him having to go to another new home. I also have enough old dog troubled with Scooby, who went back to the vets today because he's covered in scabby bits due to his grass allergy

He does have a home here for as long as he needs it. Maybe if he's still here in a couple of months I'll sign the paperwork.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >