Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 09:01 AM

Fanconi Test

I have just sent Mayas cheek swab off for her fanconi test Im not sure how long it will take to get the results, i guess at least 2 or 3 weeks

But anyway, fingers crossed! Her parents are both tested clear so hopefully she will come back clear also but you never know!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Maya's your Basenji? What's a Fanconi test?
Becky
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 09:54 AM
Oh sorry lol

Yes, Maya is the basenji Fanconi Sydrome is something that affects basenjis amongst other breeds, its basically a problem with the kidneys which can lead to them becoming very ill and can lead to death.

More info here:

http://www.caninegeneticdiseases.net...i/basicFAN.htm

(the info is a little out of date as the University of Missouri have now developed a DNA test to see whether the dog has it, which is what im sending off for Maya.)
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 09:55 AM
I am sure it is just a formality but good for you anyway. Maya didn't eat the swab then!

Fanconi is a hereditary condition affecting the Renal tubes and ultimately destroys the kidneys which unfortunately we have in Basenjis (and a few other breeds). A marker test has recently been developed in the States the results will come back as clear or carrier or affected and sometimes indeterminate, which is between clear and carrier so is treated as carrier. When we plan a litter we can still use the carriers but they have to be put to a clear, this will produce clear and carriers but never affected, affected dogs can be used to a clear bitch and will produce carriers, its not recommended to breed from an affected bitch on the grounds that it could damage her health, (affected does not mean that your dog has fanconi, it could go on to develop it at a later date, regular testing of the urine will pick up changes).

I am glad to say that nearly all of us Basenji people do test, those that didn't accept it easily are now coming round to the idea some are even testing puppies before they go to their new homes.

The good thing about this test is that it is all recorded and published on the internet, there is nowhere to hide!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks for that, thank goodness there is a test available.
Becky
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Thanks for that, thank goodness there is a test available.
Becky
Indeed!And well done to everyone getting it done keep it up and in a few gens it will be out the window!
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I am sure it is just a formality but good for you anyway. Maya didn't eat the swab then!

Fanconi is a hereditary condition affecting the Renal tubes and ultimately destroys the kidneys which unfortunately we have in Basenjis (and a few other breeds). A marker test has recently been developed in the States the results will come back as clear or carrier or affected and sometimes indeterminate, which is between clear and carrier so is treated as carrier. When we plan a litter we can still use the carriers but they have to be put to a clear, this will produce clear and carriers but never affected, affected dogs can be used to a clear bitch and will produce carriers, its not recommended to breed from an affected bitch on the grounds that it could damage her health, (affected does not mean that your dog has fanconi, it could go on to develop it at a later date, regular testing of the urine will pick up changes).

I am glad to say that nearly all of us Basenji people do test, those that didn't accept it easily are now coming round to the idea some are even testing puppies before they go to their new homes.

The good thing about this test is that it is all recorded and published on the internet, there is nowhere to hide!

Said SO much better than i could Thank you.

And no, Maya was such a good girl bless her, sat there like she was having her teeth cleaned grinning like this > Its quite a confusing thing to do though, hope i did it all right

there certainly only seem to be very few breeders that i've come across that dont test, but the majority seem to be very keen to ensure that their dogs are tested, so hopefully it wont be many generations before there will be no affected dogs in the country
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Her parents are both tested clear so hopefully she will come back clear also but you never know!!
If it is a DNA test is she not clear by parentage? Do all the pups in a clear/clear mating still have to be tested for Fanconi's?

One of mine is clear by parentage for a (different) hereditary condition so I was just wondering.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
If it is a DNA test is she not clear by parentage? Do all the pups in a clear/clear mating still have to be tested for Fanconi's?

One of mine is clear by parentage for a (different) hereditary condition so I was just wondering.
In theory yes she should be clear, but it is a new test so it is a Probable clear rather than definite so its best to test all of the offspring just incase a random carrier or something pops up. I dont know if they could ever produce an affected though

Most of all i think it is good to test everything and, like moetmum says, have it all on record so you know exactly what is what with the health in the country
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-07-2009, 10:32 AM
What is the mode of inheritance?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >