Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 05:48 AM

3rd eyelid as a pain indicator?

Flynn has always (on & off) had abit of his 3rd eyelid showing, at the bottom of his one eye, what ive noticed recently is that if hes in a bit more pain with his hips it rises up even more & once the metacam i used it lowers back down.

Many years ago, a friend of mine had a collie of his run into a tree, although at the time she was checked out & was never lame, over the years her third eyelid closed up quite alot on one eye & would often miss a position on her HWork,although he had her checked out over the years nothing was ever found to be wrong, one day at a show someone got their "hands" on her & found something out that no-one had ever picked up on before, & once that was put right, her 3rd eyelid returned to normal.

Any other experinces out there of the 3rd eyelid showing when there is underlying pain?
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 07:21 AM
No ,but very interesting.It would be worth us all keeping an eye oon our dogs(padon the pun).
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 07:54 AM
I think I'm right in saying that an off colour cat will often have a bit of 3rd eyelid showing. Have never thought about it or noticed it in dogs though
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 07:57 AM
I've definitely noticed a link with Hoki in terms of seeing her 3rd eyelid after an op or when she's had an infection. (it was visible most of last week following her op but it was gone this morning )

Must admit I'd put it more down to being 'under the weather' rather than an indication of pain, but I think there is certainly something in what you say.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 08:02 AM
It's something I have always gone by in my cats and dogs, if I see the 3rd eyelid I keep an eye on them. I usually find there is a problem, sometimes it may be just a tummy upset but I have always believed it was an indication that there was something wrong.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 12:44 PM
there we are then!!!!