Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2011, 12:30 AM

Furminator for a GSD?

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone can give advice or their experience on using a furminator on a GSD? I use it on my lab at the moment and it is amazing but I know GSDs have the double coat? I have a soft brush for while she's a pup but just trying to find out if I'll need a different brush when she's a big girl or do I stay with the furminator?
xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 07:59 AM
I tried a furminator on my longhaired GSDs and really didn't like the way it cut the coat.

I have a Mikki rake for my adult shepherds and also use a plastic curry comb (for horses) and a dandy brush
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 08:31 AM
I use a brush with rigid `teeth` most of the time, but a rake (cheap one from Wilkinsons!) when the dogs are moulting.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Furminators are designed for double-coated dogs, to get the undercoat out. You could use it on the GSD but it wouldn't be the only brush you use. I use one (well, Mikki's version) on my longhaired GSD once in a while but day to day I use a plastic pin brush which has a soft bristle layer underneath the pins, this brushes out any tangles and picks up any loose hairs
Casper after a session with the Moult Master!
kirsty_
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2011, 05:00 PM
I've got one but don't use it very often, i think its abit harsh on the skin and seems to pull the coat. I mainly use the wilkos rake comb and a hard bristle normal dog brush
Lovesgsds
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-04-2011, 06:18 PM
Aw Karly, beautiful dog!! Thanks for the advice guys x
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 02:46 PM
Furminators don't cut hair...? They get out the loose undercoat. They're not designed to remove hair that isn't falling out anyway and they're meant for double coated dogs. I'd imagine they'd be good with a GSD. I love it with my double coated BC/retriever mix.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 03:25 PM
I've got one but think I may be using it incorrectly. I can't get on with it at all. Lots of other people seem to swear by them though. I just use a brush.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2011, 04:05 PM
I bought one for Georgie who has a really thick coat, but I didn't like the result (same as Kirsty there), so I resorted to the rake which I always use on him. My finer longcoated gsd has the soft brush with the bristles same as kylyr has, but when she's moulting she gets the rake treatment too, but softer! Any other brush just wouldn't touch Georgie's thick coat, it has to be a rake and he seems to thoroughly enjoy it.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-04-2011, 04:45 PM
I keep hearing rave reviews for the furminator but due to the cost of it I've never tried it,rakes at £2 a time do the job on my only heavy coated dog and are binned cheerfully when the tines get bent.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >