Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 08:07 AM

Good vibes for Eddy please - peeing,drinking etc

Over the last couple of weeks, Eddy's had a few indoor accidents which to be honest, I've put down to him being a bit senile (he's 14 years old).

He doesn't ask to go out in any way at all, it's like he was caught short and he just walks in, stands there and wees, and then gets really upset. I just ignore it, mop it up and give him a cuddle afterwards when he seeks reassurance.

However, over the last few days I noticed he has been drinking a lot. Not very frequently, but when he does drink, he drinks the whole bowl and will not leave it if you call him away or try to take him out etc.

I had mentioned it to mum and said we'd keep an eye on it thinking perhaps he'd got a urine infection or something.

Well this morning mum took them out for me as I was unable to and she came back and told me he's been drinking from puddles all the way around and although he's recalled fine, he's refused a biscuit on his return every time.

Eddy's usually a complete ganet and it's the biscuit that gets him to return but this morning's walk was very early for him as mum had to be at work early and she said perhaps it was that.

I'm not convinced but he has been fine in himself, very perky and doesn't seem to be in any discomfort so today I'm keeping an eye on him and it may be the vets for us this weekend.

If there is something wrong I'm hoping it's simply a urine infection and not something more serious.

Please keep him in your thoughts - I do worry about him.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Awww poor thing It could just be a water infection like you said, but I would get him checked out anyway. Take a sample with you to the vets.
fingers crossed and let us know how you get on.
Elaine
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Poor Eds! Lots of positive thoughts from me and the ratbags.

I think i would probably get a urine stick test done and if necessary a blood screen for diabetes and for his kidneys (does his breath smell sort of sweet ish but yucky at the same time - so can't describe the smell - but that is an indicator of failing kidneys?).

K
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 09:06 AM
Diabetes was the first thing that sprang to my mind - that or infection because of the incontinence type thing.

Sending him a gentle hug and hope he is feeling better soon.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Good vibes coming your way Eddie xx
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2009, 09:11 AM
Poor eddy, here's hoping it will only need abs to clear up whats bothering him, sending positive vibes his way hun. xxxx
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-01-2009, 09:30 AM
I have just been through exactly the same thing with my 12 year old collie type mongrel Frosty. Totally out of the blue drinking loads and then with no warning having to wee wherever whenever. I took him to the vet for blood tests and a urine test - which i do strongly recommend to find out for sure whats going on. All his results showed nothing.
I think he just lost the plot a little and was getting very stressed out by everything he found so many new things to be scared of. We have created a new routine for him he goes out much more regularly wether he like it or not (but mum its cold and dark and the grass is wet). Then in the evening we have been giving him some seren um which has really helped. Hes stopped drink lots and life is almost back to normal. Hope this helps. Please go to the vets to elimate any medical problems first though. Last time i saw this behaviour i lost my dog to kidney disease.
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Oh poor Eddy, Like others have said Lottie, get him to the vetsand try to take a sample with you. It could be a number of things, so best to get it checked and then start any treatment. Bless he must be so embarrassed weeing in the house, give him a hug from me
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks - I phoned today and have booked him in for 9:50 tomorrow morning. This gives me a chance to go for a walk first and get a sample.

He was a little quiet when we got to the shop and spent most of the day sleeping under his blanket (face and everything) and refused his dinner and kibble training treats. He did eat some dinner when I put some water on it but am still not too happy - I've moved him onto Royal Canin and he loves it, has no needed water on it at all upto now.

Vodkalass, thanks he has the serene um on really bad days when he's just sat barking at us but these are coming fewer now that I've started more training with him and he's on Aktivait.

Thanks all, I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow - you won't hear from me until the evening though as I'll have to go straight down the shop afterwards and have no internet connection there!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Roxy gets urine infections very often, and it does sound like Ed has one. AB's will clear it very quickly, hon

x0x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >