Our sister sites
Our sister sites
minnieobrien
New Member!
Female 

20-09-2011, 08:44 AM

Rescued pooch with back problems

Hi everyone,
A friend has sent me the addy to this site, and i am really glad she did.I'm not sure how this all works but am hoping i will find my way around.About 5 months ago we rescued a little girl she is a pekinese x pomeranian and so so gorgeous.About 6wks ago we had her spaded and chipped and vaccinated etc.When we first got her she was cheeky and use to chase our cats down the hallway now she can't do that anymore Since she was spaded she has for some reason become a totally different lil girl.We thought she was depressed or missing a chum dog she use to live with.About 5wks after her spading i took her back to the vets to see if she was depressed.She would always hide in my sons room, didn't want to be around us anymore, and just had no zest for life.At that stage the vet put her on Metacam,as when he tried to feel her tummy she would tense up.She was on that for about two weeks and on Saturday we noticed that her back legs were going all wonky and were giving way on her sometimes.He informed me that he thought she might have some pretty bad back problems!!! She had her x-rays on Monday and the news was not good.She has three bad spots on her back where three discs have mineralised and she had been in massive pain all this time.Even when she was under the anesthetic, she was flinching in pain when they were moving her??. They have put her on tramadol also and we are trying the four injection in four weeks to see if that will help her.I have noticed that going to the toilet is hard for her also.When we were in the vets yesterday both her bowels and bladder gave way, she has never done the toilet inside before The vet was telling me it all comes down to keeping her comfortable and quality of life!!! Has anyone else had or having similar problems with their beloved pooch?? i would really love to hear from you guys.
P.s does the replies come via email???
minnieobrien
New Member!
Female 

20-09-2011, 08:45 AM
P.S when we adopted her we were told she was three and a half.The vets feel she is much older like 7yrs
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 09:14 AM
If you can I would get a second opinion, it seems odd that it stems from her operation.

I don't know how it works with you but here we can just ask for one.

Sorry I can't help more, good luck with her.

rune
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Hello Coleen and welcome to Dogsey.
I am so sorry it isn't under happier circumstances .

I can't really offer any suggestions to help your little dog , it must be hard for you to see her that way.
Please know that there are people here who understand your situation and can share how you are feeling.xx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 10:05 AM
It sounds like Spondylosis to me
http://www.gsdhelp.info/ortho/spondy.html
It`s pretty common in older dogs and there is a lot you can do - NSAIDs, acupuncture, warmth, joint supplements and even chiro.
It is simply arthritis of the spine - spurs form on the vertabrae and while they are forming cause inflammation and can pinch the nerves. I found with my dog that he would show pain or go lame for a while, then with treatment he would improve till the next flare-up.
I would imagine the manipulation during the operation (spaying involves the dog on its back with legs pulled right apart) caused inflammation around existing `spurs`.
Please note there is also a condition called ankylosing spondylitis which is more serious, and another called spondylitis caused by an infection, so a diagnosis is important.