Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2009, 12:00 PM

House training - what next ?

I just wondered if anyone could help, Milly my beardie, stil has accidents in the house, its not that we haven't done housetraining, we have got more books on the subject than there are in Borders, and we thought we had cracked it, not a chance. Milly is now nine months old and although she get taken for lots of walks, she hasn't worked out how to tell us she wants to go out, and she has an accident, help
Sarah
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Have you got her checked out by the vet? If not she could also be coming into season - they will often start weeing more often or maybe have a slight infection?
Can she hold herself through the night?

If you are finding it very hard set yourself a timer to get her out every hour...if not every 1/2 hour. If she wees great allow her back in for free run - if not she goes into a crate with something to do (stuffed kong or bone).
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Must admit that I don't rely on mine telling me they need to go out, I make sure that they are given the chance to go out every 3 or 4 hours during the day (adult dogs), last thing at night and first thing in the morning.

But they're usually in the same room with us all the time anyway (their choice) so we'd tell if one of them was looking uncomfortable.

Also - what do you use to clean up her accidents - if there is a scent left, this might also encourage her to go in the house rather than outside.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 03:01 PM
I taught Selkie to bark to open doors. After teaching her the 'speak'command I asked her to 'speak any time we were about to go through a dorr and she soon got the message that barking gets the door opened. Kismet is less fond of barking, so with her I taught paw, then touch and then used this to 'knock' to be let out,...

Kismet's problem is now that she knocks to let us know she'd just like a breath of fresh air, she thinks we should just leave the door open and will wander over knock and whine, then when we open the door, just go back in and settle down, or to say she'd like to see what we're doing in the toilet, or for you to open the food cupboard. Basically any door for any reason if she wants it open.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by sarah j View Post
I just wondered if anyone could help, Milly my beardie, stil has accidents in the house, its not that we haven't done housetraining, we have got more books on the subject than there are in Borders, and we thought we had cracked it, not a chance. Milly is now nine months old and although she get taken for lots of walks, she hasn't worked out how to tell us she wants to go out, and she has an accident, help
Sarah

Agree with getting her checked for infection etc...also, is there a chance she is asking you but subtly?

For example, my first dog used to sit and stare at me. My current girl will sit but nearer to the door and then, once she's got your attention, start to mill about... so it can be pretty subtle, just a look - and often if you are busy, or in another room, you may not notice!

I tend to also take mine out during the day every few hours anyway - and we seem to have set times at night when she needs to go, ie around 6pm and around 9pm...

Wys
x
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
I taught Selkie to bark to open doors. After teaching her the 'speak'command I asked her to 'speak any time we were about to go through a dorr and she soon got the message that barking gets the door opened. Kismet is less fond of barking, so with her I taught paw, then touch and then used this to 'knock' to be let out,...

Kismet's problem is now that she knocks to let us know she'd just like a breath of fresh air, she thinks we should just leave the door open and will wander over knock and whine, then when we open the door, just go back in and settle down, or to say she'd like to see what we're doing in the toilet, or for you to open the food cupboard. Basically any door for any reason if she wants it open.

Oh the joys of an intelligent dog!!