Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2009, 05:36 PM

Sore eyes

Both my cavaliers are suffering very badly at the moment with gunk in their eyes, 1 is much worse than the other, maybe because her eyes protude more. Have gone down the route of antibiotic eye drops from the vet, they clear up, and then a few weeks later its back again. I have been bathing with warm water on cotton wool, has anybody any suggestions as to how I can help them, Its horrid to see them like this, and must be so uncomfortable for them. Thanks!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by wendyann View Post
Both my cavaliers are suffering very badly at the moment with gunk in their eyes, 1 is much worse than the other, maybe because her eyes protude more. Have gone down the route of antibiotic eye drops from the vet, they clear up, and then a few weeks later its back again. I have been bathing with warm water on cotton wool, has anybody any suggestions as to how I can help them, Its horrid to see them like this, and must be so uncomfortable for them. Thanks!
hi
cavs eyes are more prone to ulcers and dry eye as are some breeds.there are many things the 'gunk' can be due to infections (are you sure they are not reinfecting themselves) allergies,injurys blocked tearducts and various more serious conditions,being it is their eyes i would er on the side of caution and have a word with the vet.it may be something simple but i wouldnt take the risk until then use salted water and cotton wool(as it is mildly antiseptic) a teaspoon to a pint of boiled water cooled down,or a calendula tincture.
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Thank you, I have thought that they might be reinfecting each other. Vet had checked for ulcers, all clear, and has also tried them on drops for dry eye, will try the salt water, and of course be in touch with my vet, yet again! she is reluctant to keep prescribing antibiotic drops, which I agree with. Thanks so much for your advise!
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2009, 09:40 PM
My dog has had sore eyes lately - greeny yellow gunk, time of year I think with the flush etc. I bathed them with warm salt water and cotton wool to get the gunk out a few times a day.

They're clear now after a couple of weeks. I've found this not unusual at this time of year.
Chicos-Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2009, 10:12 PM
I've found this too, is it like hayfever in dogs?
tiggletoggs
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2009, 09:02 PM
1/4 tab of benadryl every 3 days for 2 weeks
1 settlers tums every other day for 2 weeks
Works wonders for hayfever and gunkie eyes
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 12:13 PM
when you say gunk do you mean yellow greeny or just eye bogies ?? as its normal for eye bogies to be worse in this heat as the eyerlids are working overtime to keep dust and allergies out x
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Its more browny grey!! or greeny brown!!!! difficult to describe, thats Jodie, jennas is white gunk!!
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Inca View Post
when you say gunk do you mean yellow greeny or just eye bogies ?? as its normal for eye bogies to be worse in this heat as the eyerlids are working overtime to keep dust and allergies out x
lol @ Inca - bogies

We're always saying to Poppy to keep her eye bogies to herself, she does like to rub her face on you first thing in the morning!
wendyann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2009, 12:22 PM
So do my 2!!! lovely on your clean trousers!!!