Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:20 PM

Domination peeing

I have an 18 month old British Bulldog and she is proving to be more than a handful. I cannot give her a soft fluffy bed or anything that is material to sleep on as she pees on it. She sleeps in the kitchen at night, with a stairgate on the door. I have given up giving her beds as she pees all over anything I give her. She now sleeps straight on the floor My problem being, she has now started peeing all over the floor during the night. She is doing it every night and the pee is of such a strong odour it's discusting. She will even go as far as to pulling the oven gloves off the oven door to pee on them.

If I let her sleep in the living room on the sofa, she won't do it at all but this isn't practical as it's not where I want her to sleep.

I have had to replace my flooring twice in the last month due to her peeing on the kitchen floor. The smell is only just starting to go now. I have bought her a crate, which she sleeps in at night now, and so far no problems (time will tell)

Why do you think she is doing this? Is it a dominance pee problem? Attention seeking? i am at a loss as to why she does it.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Has the vet checked her & most importantly has he checked a sample of her urine ?
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Yes. She was checked when she had her yearly health check in July. It's not a new issue we have with her, she has always done it. It did stop for a while but now it's worse than ever.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:32 PM
do you use bleach to clean your kitchen floor?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:35 PM
...but did you actually take a sample of urine for the vet to check?

If there is a bladder weakness, when the dog sleeps, it goes into deep sleep & light sleep. In deep sleep she wont have the necessary bladder control which she has when awake or in light sleep

I would urge you to get a blood profile run on your bitch & definitely a urine check & ask them to spin it, not just a dip stick check

I have a bitch that would make mistakes in deep sleep, not her faukt, she has a medical problem. Like yours its spasmodic

Is she spayed?
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:49 PM
No I don't use bleach to clean the floor, I use Dettol.
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:52 PM
She has urine tests, no problems. I don't think it is a problem during sleep as she does it in the same place in the kitchen all the time. She sleeps in the corner, or by the door, but ALWAYS pees in front of the oven. I would of thought that if it is a bladder weakness she would do it when she slept elsewhere but she doesn't. She also has not done it in the crate.

She did go upstairs for a wonder round a few months ago - and peed on my sons bed So i'm positive she is doing it on purpose??

She has not been spayed no.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 09:55 PM
I would echo those who suggested getting the vet to do a thorough check, just in case there is an underlying problem that has been missed thus far.

When Dexter was around 18 months we went through a phase where he kept relieving himself inside the house, on the carpet and the sofa. I thought it was a 'dominance' thing.

However, after keeping note of precisely when it happened, I realised it was a lot more simple: he simply was not going outside enough to relieve himself!!! Then when he got over excited, i.e. when his food was delivered from PAH, he would not be able to control his bladder.

So although you may be right, don't assume it's a 'dominance' thing, explore other possibilities

Do you make sure your girl goes outside last thing at night, literally just before she goes to sleep? I have got into the habit of doing this with Dexter.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
I have an 18 month old British Bulldog and she is proving to be more than a handful. I cannot give her a soft fluffy bed or anything that is material to sleep on as she pees on it. She sleeps in the kitchen at night, with a stairgate on the door. I have given up giving her beds as she pees all over anything I give her. She now sleeps straight on the floor My problem being, she has now started peeing all over the floor during the night. She is doing it every night and the pee is of such a strong odour it's discusting. She will even go as far as to pulling the oven gloves off the oven door to pee on them.

If I let her sleep in the living room on the sofa, she won't do it at all but this isn't practical as it's not where I want her to sleep.

I have had to replace my flooring twice in the last month due to her peeing on the kitchen floor. The smell is only just starting to go now. I have bought her a crate, which she sleeps in at night now, and so far no problems (time will tell)

Why do you think she is doing this? Is it a dominance pee problem? Attention seeking? i am at a loss as to why she does it.
My Poppy does it too, I bought 2 extra large dog beds for Bailey but as soon as they go down Poppy pees on them She's now almost 5 and has been clean indoors for years except the bed thing - strange behaviour indeed
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2011, 10:07 PM
I still think you should get your vet to do a full blood picture rather than assume its behavour based. Once health issues are ruled out, you can investigate other avenues

Re peeing on the bed. How long had she been without the toilet? If shes not allowed normally upstairs & on the bed, then we are talking of excitement, full bladder & knowing she shouldnt be there & realising she needs to "go" & if her bladder control isnt 100%, she makes the mistake. Not intentional, she realises she needs to go & goes

At 18 months she is still young & developing.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >