Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Constant scratching

My Border Collie X GSD has been constantly scratching herself for the last couple of months. She had her booster 2 weeks ago and my vet checked her coat for any problems but didn't find anything. I used Bob Martin's FleaClear Spot On on 6 July and wonder if she could have reacted adversely to this. Her walks are grassy marsh and sandy beach (when the tide is out) and I check her daily for grass seeds. The main area of irritation seems to be her tummy which she gnaws at or scratches with her back leg. I have been giving her a Piriton equivalent everyday to see if that helps but she is still tearing at her coat (which I try and groom daily too). I hope someone will be able to assist me to help her out - thank you.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2012, 10:59 AM
could be a number of things , mine scratch more when the harvest is on. Id use a better flea product than the one you mention, something like fronline.
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
could be a number of things , mine scratch more when the harvest is on. Id use a better flea product than the one you mention, something like fronline.
Thanx Rough, if I'm dealing with a grass allergy here any thoughts on how I can give her some relief x
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Mine are the same currently and are being brushed every day. They are both moulting heavily so I wondered if it was to do with that?
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by Tegs_mum View Post
Mine are the same currently and are being brushed every day. They are both moulting heavily so I wondered if it was to do with that?
yah mine are all moulting too.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2012, 12:27 PM
I used the Bob martin flea clear product (when I couldnt buy/find frontline in an hour of need)... I too had a terribly itchy dog, Until I bathed him yesterday to find all the fleas abandoning ship - poor ******. I will be stockpiling trusty frontline in future! I have since heard that this particular product quite often brings up skin issues from itching to "burns" :/
tedsui
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2012, 12:58 PM
Thanx to you all for your responses. Tia went to the groomers for the first time since I've had her in June and her coat was thinned and she had a shampoo and set, this started her moulting which is quite late actually this year. I wondered about the flea product Dalmonda, and have written to Bob Martins to see what they suggest (I never read this in the contra-indications!) Perhaps I will give her a shampoo myself and see if I can alleviate her obvious distress and then get frontline next time I go to the supermarket.
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2012, 01:04 PM
Yes as I say - I literally bought the bob martins having treated all the other animals and finding myself one dose short. I didnt have the time to wait for frontline. I checked the ingredients etc and it has the same active ingredient. I honestly wish I had waited because he hasn't stopped scratching. There is no obvious irritation to the skin. Ive bathed him, combed him and treated ALL of the bedding and soft furnishings. It is just him with the issue, none of the other dogs are suffering and I am sure its down to the bob martins.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 01:21 PM
You won't get Frontline from the supermarket......

You need to get it from your vet, or online using a prescription (also, from your vet).

Good luck!
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2012, 01:27 PM
if i was you i'd get a good quality anti flea shampoo and bathe her yourself if you can.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >