Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2016, 04:44 PM

Couple Split, Who owns the dog?

Hi All,

This isn't directly me, I'm asking on behalf of a friend, so I may not have all the full details at once.

My friend and her partner have recently had a pretty nasty split. I'm told abuse was involved, which made my friend pack up her belongings from the home and leave suddenly. At the time, she left the dog in the home. Hoping once she had found a place to stay, she could collect him back.

Because allegations have been made, etc. And with Police involved, the boyfriend has become very nasty indeed. It's now at the point whereby the boyfriend doesn't even have the dog, they say they have 'rehomed' him (or temporarily placed him somewhere), but will not tell my friend where.

She is now in a position to have the dog and look after him full time, but due to sheer spite (I presume) they won't let her have access to him, or let her know where he is staying.

She met with the boyfriends dad today to walk a dog, where a woman had complete control (no idea who this woman is), they wouldn't let my friend physically hold the lead, or stroke the dog etc...

I have a few questions really. How can she get around this? On the Kennel Club Website she thinks the boyfriend is actually registered as the owner. However, both her and him signed papers / contracts from the breeder. She also paid half towards the dog. Will this hold up as proof she is a joint owner?

Surely if he has rehomed (or temporarily homed) the dog also, he has given up any 'ownership' rights?

I've never been involved in a situation like this, and I just have a very upset friend not knowing what to do so I'm turning to this forum for any advice?

All thoughts welcome. The end result would be for her to have the dog living with her now.

Thanks in Advance!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-01-2016, 05:03 PM
I would tell her to get in touch with Trevor Cooper at DogLaw, he will give her the very best advice. Went to one of his seminars and I had something going on with a puppy that hadn't been paid for, and he advised me very well on my rights (none apparently) and what to do
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2016, 05:06 PM
Thank you! I most certainly will do x
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-01-2016, 05:07 PM
Does she have proof she paid half for the dog?

I think the law treats pets as any other possession tbh - i.e. they are owned by whoever paid for them.

If she feels the dog is not being treated properly she could report him to the RSPCA? Or just appeal to his better nature and say let's do what's best for the dog, it's not fair that the dog has to suffer, etc?
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-01-2016, 05:43 PM
Yes, she would have paid from her own bank account for half of him (or so I'm told).

She's not allowed to directly contact the boyfriend due to the situation (so it's a bit tricky). But from what I'm told, he's basically trying to use the dog to encourage her to drop the charges... He's implying things that basically sound on the verge of bribery! It's quite awful.

She doesn't know, and won't be told where he is being kept so she wouldn't be able to report
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2016, 05:50 PM
In my experience if you leave you need to take everything you believe to be yours with you. Obviously if the split is amicable it's not a problem arranging things between you but if not then be prepared for all out war. Were they married and getting divorced or living together where there are no established rights.
Would she even be able to drop the charges, the cps may proceed anyway.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by BeagleBella View Post
But from what I'm told, he's basically trying to use the dog to encourage her to drop the charges... He's implying things that basically sound on the verge of bribery! It's quite awful.
On the verge of bribery, fact is in this situation some people will do anything, bribery would be the least of her worries, her personal safety is more of a concern. Won't say more as I don't want to frighten her.

Azz is correct, if she has paid, and has evidence of such payment, then I'm pretty sure she is part owner of the dog.

Get a good lawyer and just try to ensure the poor dog is at least being looked after properly.

Horrible situation all round.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2016, 06:31 PM
It's not bribery it's called perverting the course of justice and it's illegal and punishable with prison.
Bulldogs4Life
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2016, 12:42 AM
I got a court order for mine. You have to go the legal route. That's the only way if the ex isn't willing to cooperate with her.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by BeagleBella View Post
Yes, she would have paid from her own bank account for half of him (or so I'm told).

She's not allowed to directly contact the boyfriend due to the situation (so it's a bit tricky). But from what I'm told, he's basically trying to use the dog to encourage her to drop the charges... He's implying things that basically sound on the verge of bribery! It's quite awful.

She doesn't know, and won't be told where he is being kept so she wouldn't be able to report

Quote" trying to use the dog to encourage her to drop the charges... " unquote

Smacks of blackmail to me
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >