Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 08:48 AM

help

Hi,
I could do with some advice my husband bought me a staffy pup on monday 6 and a half weeks old, he cries and squalks all night and if i leave him he just carries on the only way he will stop is if we pick him up, does anyone know how long this will go on for?
as i was told they cry etc at night because they miss there mum and litter mates. please help!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 11:24 AM
I think it can take up to a week for them to settle into their new surroundings. If you go down and pick him up you will probably prolong his settling in and he will use it to get ur attention.

I havent had to deal with the crying myself as we have always had the dog sleeping in our room, which in itself helped us with the toilet training cos we can hear when the pup needs to go out in the middle of the night.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi
Thank you for your advice, on monday night when we got him we did have him in our room in his own bed but he kept getting out and crying, so last night i put him in the kitchen and left him to cry and squalk and he did keep us up most of the night crying but i didn't give in to him, but i do worry about the neighbours hearing him and complaining cause when he cries the only way to stop him is to pick him up but if i keep doing it i will regret it when he's older, hopefully things will sort there selves out in the next
few nights.
I just feel so tired since having him but i know it will be a joy in the end
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Hi
Also another thing were concerned about with my pup is he keeps biting everything he see's, we've bought him toys etc and he rather bite us, i understand that because he's only 6 weeks old that he's gonna bite but how do i stop him at such a young age cause when he does bite it hurts!
Also i've tried tapping his nose while he's biting and he just thinks were playing and bites harder, we are worried that he may never grow out of this, please advise.
Thank you
kerry
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2005, 12:47 PM
hi kerry, with the biting it is important to ignore the dog when he does this. I had the same problem with the tapping on the nose, my staffie just thought we were playing and got more excited. when he bites u, stand up and turn ur back on him until he calms down and then offer to play with a toy with him. if u find that he is still very persistant, give him a time out by either leaving the room urself, or put him out in the hallway for no longer than 5 minutes! When u return, try get him interested in a toy, if he continues to bite, repeat the time out process. I hope this helps.

The best way to teach a pup is through positive reassurance, so please whatever u are teaching, wether it be bite inhibition or toilet training, dont hit ur dog.

A good book to buy is called 'a perfect puppy' by Gwen Bailey, it will prove very useful for you while ur puppy is still young.

post piccies
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-02-2005, 04:19 AM
Kerry, your pup is rather young to have left its breeder. It is in the nest & during play interaction with its siblings & dam that a puppy starts to learn bit inhibition. It will have missed out on serveral crucial days of learning. When he bites you during play try giving a loud, high-pitched yelp, and then immediately stop the game. Turn your back & walk away. The pup needs to learn that biting you means that all fun stops. Do not 'tap' your pup's nose as this will either encourage him to continue playing, or it will make him hand shy.

Crying at night. Well if you put yourself in your pups place perhaps you will see why he cries. He has been taken from his mother, his siblings, people he knows, a place he knows, scents & sounds that he is familiar with, and now finds himself alone in a strange place, with people, sounds, scents, objects, that he does not know. Hardly surprising that he may feel frightened and rather insecure. Why not get a crate for him and allow him to sleep beside your bed. If he wakes in the night you will know & can take him out for a toilet break, this will help speed housetraining. Also he will feel more secure & less lonesome. If he cries, and you know he does not need to go out, you can just reach out of bed to reassure him. Once he is feeling more secure you can move the crate further away, eventually out of the room if you don't want him sleeping with you.

Remember, he is just a baby, and it can be a big, scary, world sometimes for the little ones.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2005, 10:58 PM
Hi
Thanks to Jenny and ShadowBoxer for your advice, i will try having his crate in my room and see if that works, also i have only tapped the puppy's nose once and when i realised it didn't work i haven't done it since as i dont agree with smacking a pet.
I'll try this advice and then let you all know how i get on.
Cheers
Kerry
p.s could you please tell me how to post pics on this site, or plz send me your e-mail address and i'll send you some of him, my e-mail address is kerry@lycos.co.uk[/url]
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-02-2005, 11:07 PM
hi Kerry try this link for instructions how to post pics. Im useless at explaining things

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6

if you need any more help just ask
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 12:00 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...6/f538c4ef.jpg
I'm not sure if i've done this right but there should be a pic of our puppy if you follow the link.
Cheers
kerry
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Thank you to carole for taking the time out to help me, upload my pic.
Cheers
kerry
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »